Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Repaint a warrior

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaint a warrior

Would i be able to repaint a yamaha warrior's plastics. 1. If so how would i go about doing this. 2. what kind of paint would i need? 3. sealant? 4. would i just paint it like anything else or is there some specific way?

Old 07-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

you cant use regular paint or it will chip up like crazy you gotta use a special type of paint arg i cant member wut it is but you gotta buff the plastics and clean them real good to get all the scratches and stuff out then theres this special paint u use, hopefully some1 else will reply i cant member wut its called

Old 07-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

you'll need to use bumper paint. try your local napa. the one local to me has an auto paint section. the bumper paint is made to be flexable. as stated before, regular paint would just chip off after it dries.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

You will need an adhesive promoter, the best way to prepare the plastic for paint is to use a grey scotch brite pad, scuff and clean the area to be painted really well, you can use comet or ajax with the grey pad, it will help to remove any grease or impurities, then wash the plastic really good with dish washing liquid. Then you will need to wipe the plastic down with a prep solvent cleaner, alcohol will work good, the best way to insure that the paint will stay on is in the preperation. I have always used base coat clear coat, I painted for a dealership for about 4 years, I would apply an adhesion promoter and then basecoat and then a urethane clearcoat with a flex additive, always worked really well. Good luck, have fun with it.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

man I used krylon fusion it is specifically for plastic buy it at ace hardware,u have to buff all your scratches out and clean real good with paint thinner,make sure u clean real good,but this stuff works real good ,just paint over no need for primer,comes in spray can, painted 3 sets of plastics for my warrior,awsome stuff

Old 07-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

thats the stuff i was talking about! lol yea that stuff works great, just take your time on the prep work and it will turn out good

Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Im about to paint my Raptor. Im going to paint it with realistic fire.

I use House of Color paint. It is the best paint on the market, so you will pay extra.

First you will have to prepare the surface.
Clean with a wax and grease remover. Sand surface. Clean with post sanding cleaner (soap based)

1st...... spray on 2 part epoxy primer (3 coats). Good I idea to mix in some flex additive.
once cured for 24hrs, resand with a finer grit.
2nd..... spray on a co-sealer (2 coats). This will help your base coat bond to primer.
3rd...... spray on your base coat (artwork, pin strips .etc)
4th...... spray with clear coat (2 coats)
wet sand, just enough to remove the shine. Clear coat again for showroom finish.

Im new to custom painting. Here are some pics of a helmet I just painted.

KTM helmet