Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anybody know if any of the octane boosters actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know if any of the octane boosters actually work?

i was just curious if any1 actually found any of the octane booster additives to work, brands such as gumout and prestone and a few others i always see but was wondering if sum1 else found positive results with them, thanks

Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Most of all the octane boosters work well. A presumption of most everyone is that the higher octane the hotter the fuel. Octane is a fire retardent, yep makes the burn slower so you don't get preignition on a race engine. When you hear ping in your family car they tell you to run higher octane. All this does is slows the burn down so the fuel doesn't ignite with red hot carbon particles which would be detrimental to a race engine. That is why alcohol makes so much power, it is that it burns so cold.
Thats one thing to remember the higher the octane the slower the burn.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

k, i was just checking if they really worked, i might try pouring in a bottle on my bike even when i already have 93 octane in it and see what happends

Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

Is the question you want to ask, Does it work or do I need it? It might work but that doesn't mean automatically it will do you any good.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

Dont waste your money.
Boosters are not worth c@$p. If you want "octane ratings" go to pure race gas or E-85!
Unless you have mutch higer CR in that engine there is no need for anything over 87... All it will do its kill plugs, waste gass, and make Alot more engine heat..
Yea yea.. alil more power. but at risk of engine failure.... IMO not a option...

CR = octane required.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The only time I use boosters or mix 76 100 octane race gas with 92/93 octane is to control pinging in my 2 strokes. If your doing it to get more horsepower save your money. Its not going to help with that at all.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Both of the above posts are exactly right, in a stock motor in would be a waste of money. Running the compression that we are running it is a must so we don't get any preignition. Race gas is definitly more effective then addative as far as i am concerned. Right now we are running Turbo Blue, this is 110 octane and have had wonderfull luck with it.
Hope this all makes sense for you, it had me baffled when I first started working with it too.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 AM
Trailblazer

The way it was explained to me is "for the most power run the lowest octane you can run with out pinging" because if the fuel is on the brink of pre-ignition when the plug sets it off that will be about the best, most complete combustion you are going to get.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Pro Rider

gus700 you may be right given a stock motor, but with more squeeze and motorwork done octane is a necessity. On my 400 sb chevy motor I gain 45 hp on the dyno running methenol. We all know how cold that burns, to the point of not even seeing the flames in the day light. It is so high octane the motor will not even start on it, you need to dump gas down the carb to get it started initially. Once it is warmed up you are ok and it will restart. I would love to build a methenol burning quad but AMA really frowns on that and it is kinda hard to hide the tear jerking smell of the exhaust.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Quad magazine had an article about Octane boosters, complete with dyno comparisons just last month... You should try to find a copy...

Quick Reply: Anybody know if any of the octane boosters actually work?