Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Noisy Kodiak!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008 | 01:08 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Noisy Kodiak!

My kids '96 Kodiak 400 4X4 began making a strange noise last weekend. It was loud and makes the sound for every turn of the wheel in forward motion from the front end. I checked the drums for a small stone, nothing. When you back up with a bit of gas, the sound is an immediate screech. I jacked up the quad, so the wheels were off the ground and went forward and reverse, not a peep! I mentioned the problem to my mechanic neighbor on the phone and he figures that it could be a front driveshaft issue. I rocked the bike and didn't notice any play in the front driveshaft. That is if I'm troubleshooting that part right. Initially I thought the bearings piled up but wouldn't it make noise anyways with the wheels off the ground? I bought the bike used with 2500 miles if that's relevant.

Old 08-09-2008 | 05:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Noisy Kodiak!

Id suspect a dry, rusty u joint too. I dont remeber if they have zerk fittings or not, but if there is one...give it a good shot of grease.

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Noisy Kodiak!

I don't know if a CV joint will make that kind of noise. When you took the wheels off the ground you changed the angle of the CV joints. Since it didn't make noise with the wheels off the ground I would look at what was affected by lifting it up. When it is up in the air can you spin the wheels and is there anything you can feel or hear? When you put it back on the ground did it go back to being noisy again? If you drive it around and turn the wheels back and forth under power does that do or change anything?

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Noisy Kodiak!

CV joints usually have an unmistakable popping noise when going bad. my 99 big bear has full time 4wd and my ujoints went bad and started squeaking like he is describing. id hose it down with penetrating blaster oil and it would shut up for a day or two then start right back. it would lightly chirp when it was in the air, im betting its a universal joint. but then again, his issue is when the wheels are turned. but he has narrowed out the brakes. it could be a CV joint. are the Cv boots damaged, ripped or cracked?

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:36 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Noisy Kodiak!

Cv boots look fine. I put it back on the stands and removed the driveshaft cover. Fired her up and I noticed the driveshaft has a slight wobble. Must be the u-joint. Other than a couple of small issues, I think this little Kodiak is pretty much bullet proof! It was over 30 last winter when I seen it and it fired up no problem.