Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

08 Grizzly Skids

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

I am having some trouble finding skids for my 08 Grizzly. I have seen prices anywhere from $250 to $550. I am fairly new to ATVing (At least having to maintain my own) and need assistance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

Hey Vinnie,

First off welcome to the Site! There is a bunch of good info on this site for your Quad. I personally own the same machine.. well except mine is a 2007.

As far as skids go... I would recommend the Ricochet Offroad Armor.

Link to Website with Ricochet Skids for Grizzly/Kodiak 450

They are made with 3/16" (0.1875") 5052 Aliminum. Yamaha Aluminum skids for the Grizzly 450 are only 1/8" (0.125") 5052. (I know as I bought the Front A-Arms, Belly (Engine), and Rear Diff Skids.

I personally have made CSS (CraZy Steve Skids) Front CV boot extentions (added to the Yamaha Front A-Arm Skids), a Front Diff Bash Plate (made out of 1/4" (0.250") 5052), and Footwell Skids (made out of 3/16" (0.1875") 5052). I am in the process of making Rear A-Arm skids out of 3/16" (0.1875") 5052

See my "Camera" Link for pictures! (Located to the right of this message window under my Name and picture of my Quad)

As far as maintaining your Quad...

Here is the link w/instructions on how to Download a copy of the 03-06 Kodiak 450 Manual. The only diff between your machine and the 03-06's is the Name, Tires, 2" Reciever Hitch and the Rear Wet-Brake -- otherwise... everything else is the same [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

http://www.savefile.com/files/74511

1. Click the link in the Message
2. Scroll down to the Section in the BLUE Box that says "05-06 Kodiak 450" and Click "DOWNLOAD FILE"
3. Your download SHOULD start...

IF NOT

4. Scroll down to the Bottom.... where you will see
" Your download should begin shortly.
If it does not, try <u>Download file now</u>
"

Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

Thanks CraZy Steve! I am really kinda new and looking foreward to maintaining my machine on my own. Just ordered some Ricochet skids and now am shopping for a snorkel kit. Thanks for the assist. How do you like your Grizzly?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

Love it!! I am still running the stock tires as they are doing the job for now....

Don't order a snorkle kit.. make one.. it is easy enough to do the front of the belt drive... I did mine in 1 hour [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I still haven't done the rear belt drive nor the Air intake... I don't get too deep to often.. since I have made my front belt snorkle.. I have only needed it once... and it did work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The factory brake pads on the Yamaha's aren't the best.. they MIGHT last 300 miles if you are lucky... though the new rear wet brake will probably last longer as it is sealed... When you replace the front pads.. .go with EBC's

Only warranty work so far to date was the the "drivers" side rear axle differential seal was junk. But then my main wire harness decide to become dislodged and melted on the exhaust pipe! It melted 2 wires and shorted them to ground... which cause a few things in my display to go silly.. once I fixed them it was good.. Though I believe it blew my "Over Temp" indicator light out... not sure.. It is going in the shop for the 800 mile check-up on Thursday and I will get that "Over Temp" issue looked at.

I think you will like those Ricochet Skids! I have friends who have them and like them.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

I have to agree that Ricochet makes some great skids. They actually just released a set of floorboard skids for the 700. I don't know if they'll work on the 450 or not or if Ricochet has plans to do a 450 set. However, I second the vote for Ricochets.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

Yea.. they have them for the 450 Grizz as well... but mine are Better hehehehe.... Same thickness as theirs... but since I have the 90 degree bends on 3 sides it is quite stiffer [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

I just got the Solid print for my Rear A-Arm skids.... need to "test" out the card-board pattern and tweak as needed... [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] So nice having Mechanical engineering and machine shop resources avaialble for free [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] I just provide the sheet aluminum... [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

But.. as I said.. if I didn't have that luxury... I'd be buying Ricochets!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

I actuall just ordered the Riccochet skids. But I too have access to a machine shop. Where can I get the patterns for the skids? Are they available for a 07 Honda Rincon 680? My buddy just bought one new.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: agostav

I actuall just ordered the Riccochet skids. But I too have access to a machine shop. Where can I get the patterns for the skids? Are they available for a 07 Honda Rincon 680? My buddy just bought one new.</end quote></div>

I have made all the patterns for my Skids... Cardboard Rocks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My buddy at work converted them into Solidworks Models.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

Well the skids are on and have been tested thoroughly! Went up to Mass and then up to Jackman, ME... Had a blast and came back with... Zero Damage!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default 08 Grizzly Skids

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: agostav

Well the skids are on and have been tested thoroughly! Went up to Mass and then up to Jackman, ME... Had a blast and came back with... Zero Damage!</end quote></div>

Ok.. but how did the Skids make out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]? Dented I am sure... I ride NH and Maine..

How do you like your Grizz 450?

As I have said.. I can give ya the patters for the Footwell skids -- it is a solid works model..

-Steve

Quick Reply: 08 Grizzly Skids