Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Maybe im an dumb but can you not put distilled water in the newer batteries because i did and im pretty sure it ruined my battery

Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Battery

i think you can put distilled water in car batteries why not atv batteries

Old 08-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

New batteries are sealed unit, you shouldn't be adding any distilled water. I believe their gel type batteries. Also, I'm pretty sure theres no way to add any. This is unless you have an older quad and they sold you the type you have to fill.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default Battery

Ya, like rancher247 said all of my batteries have been sealed get type also. If it's an older one that allows addition of water you should be fine. You may have to charge it after you fill it.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Battery

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rancher247

New batteries are sealed unit, you shouldn't be adding any distilled water. I believe their gel type batteries. Also, I'm pretty sure theres no way to add any. This is unless you have an older quad and they sold you the type you have to fill.</end quote></div>

When I bought a new battery for my late model sport bike, I had to fill it myself with acid. It came with a DIY kit.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default Battery

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AggieRaptor

When I bought a new battery for my late model sport bike, I had to fill it myself with acid. It came with a DIY kit.</end quote></div>

I'm sure it depends on your model. You have to watch though because some will cross reference to wet-cell batteries even though stock would be a sealed. Sealed batteries have a few advantages one being they can store themselves much longer while holding a charge than wet-cell batteries can. That makes them ideal if your quad sits through the winter without being rode much.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

if you are in a respectable sized town, i am sure there is a business there that refurbishes batteries. take a sealed plastic container there and ask them what they would charge you for 12 ounces of battery acid. i know when you buy an ATV/lawn battery from walmart or autozone, the acid comes in said plastic container and you have to add the acid to the battery yourself for it to activate. they give you enough acid so you can refill it after the first few weeks.

if your quad is like mine, the damn battery is bolted in a cradle with a strap under the left rear fender. that makes for one more pain in the *** to take it out to check the electrolyte level. i use my trusty LED maglite to see if the level is at the red line.

i will tell you all one neat little 5 dollar item i picked up from an atv catalog. it was the chapperals catalog (spelling?) it is a small container that came with zip ties and vent tubing. you strap it to your frame and it is a battery acid overflow/catch can. it catches the acid if you have a left side rollover so you wont loose your starting juice. the one thing that it does not come with, and i consider this important, is a vent tube plug like what is found on truck differentials. the cap that allows pressure to escape, but not allow any foreign items to infiltrate the canister. it is a neat idea, and i just picked it up because i needed to spend 5 more dollars to get free shipping. the zip ties are reusable. so that is a plus. the back side of the canister is flat so it lays against a frame rail and will not rotate one it is installed.

edit: if you have a serviceable battery, distilled water is fine as long as your using it for a top off. if the battery is really low, i would try to get some of the acid to pour in it instead of the water.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Battery

thanks for all the help its much appreciated