Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'07 Wolverine Waterproofing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Wolverine Waterproofing

ok recently had to take the Wolvie into the shop to get the carb cleaned out and also for the first 200 mile vavle job. had it in the mud, in pretty deep water, and in both at high speeds. its more fun that way lol anyways, im wonderin what i can do to make it as waterproof as possible. ive already rerouted the vent tube on the carb since the rubber mat acts more as a funnel than well whatever its sposed to do. i know i need to snorkel the belt case but also in their "results" of what they found during the service they said they found dirt and water in the air box too. should i just go with a full snorkel? custom of course. also im assuming it all came in from the the belt case snorkel but the clutch was packed with mud. there were times id drop into muddy water from above only to have it splash up from behind so im gonna go with that bein the reason why. wow. ok long post. lol any suggestions? someone needs to post a thread with as much wolverine aftermarket hop ups as possible. lol

Old 08-30-2008, 03:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send ctusa1 a pm I think he runs a modded out Wolvie.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

it amazes me that some quads can be buried to the gas tank and never get water anywhere in the crankcase or differentials. i had mine in a hole up to the gas tank in watery mud and i checked it when i got home and there was nothing in it. i checked the differentials, air box and crankcase. all of them were water free.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah i know. i can go through certain things without anything gettin anywhere but it also depends on how you go through it. i mean i was goin fast through really deep muddy water. it was splashin, i was told, about four feet or so higher than me. not bein thrown by the tires actual splash. well either way im gonna re route the stock snorkels i think. just enough so that water splash wont funnel into them easily

Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

the airbox bods i have seen on here are pretty savvy. i bet there isnt 15 bucks in parts used in making one of these snorkels. the biggest pain to me would be cutting the plastic on the quad perfect enough. i would have to be exact if it were mine. even though my big bear is 10 years old, the original plastic is faded but it is not broken or cracked anywhere.

even with its age, that plastic is still hard to cut. i installed a 12v accessory plug on the right front side of the plastic. there was an option for a switch of some sort that was not used on my model when it was new, so i cut it out and used one of those waterproof marine 12v plugs i got at an auto parts store. it has the spring loaded cap that is air/water tight. it took me about 45 minutes to run the wire along the frame and to the battery. like i said, the hardest part of it was cutting the damn hole in that tough plastic. it looks like it was a factory install now except for the fact the bottom part of the plug was flat and i had to put it in upside down because the perforation for the hole was recessed into the plastic. it does not affect the operation one bit.