Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What to expect from a warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect from a warrior?

A friend of mine picked up a Warrior that needed some rings for dirt cheap. We rebuilt the top end and it runs and idles great. But it don't pop a wheelie unless I have a foot on the grab bar,lol. He's thinkin a new clutch kit will help it. I just don't think it's got "it". First gear just doesn't seem to have the torque a good wheelie machine should have. Doesn't sound to me like its slipping. He doesn't want to dump a bunch of money in it but we just wish it was the wheelie machine his 250ex is. Any suggestions or info?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

its nt so much that it doesnt have torque as the fact that all the wieght is in the front mine doesnt do wheelies unless im on the wheelie bar either and i have cobra pipe jets k&n filter wider tires with all that and it still doesnt wheelie up unless im on the back but other than that its a good bike reliable and fun to tear up in the mud its an all arround bike

Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

That makes sense as far as the weight goes. It feels more like a utility quad rather than a sport quad. None the less. He's got $400 in it and it seems to be a good all around quad. Anyone know of a sprocket setup that will get some wheelies out of it?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Warriors are horrible wheelie machines. They are very heavy on the front end, but a 12 tooth front sprocket will help. You can wheelie a stock Warrior, it just takes some practice. Standing or with one knee on the seat is always easier, but if you sit down and roll along in 2nd gear, "double clutch" it, pin the thottle, and pull up on the handlebars, it will come up. A warrior's balance point is further back than most other bikes, so to keep the front end up, you need to be a little more straight up, but once you get used to it you can wheelie for miles. If it feels like it's tilting back too far, lightly tap the back brake and that will bring the front end down.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

yea im having a lot of trouble trying to get my warrior up. people keep telling me that its really front end heavy. i try popping the clutch but it just goes a little bit faster no lift. so i dont know wat to do

Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Then something must be wrong with mine for the good because i can clutch it in third with my butt on the seat just like normal and it comes straight up. and i only have a fmf header, slipon, Prodesign filter mod and some Razr's

Old 08-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

my 88 would lift the front end up in second before the rebuild....dump the clutch goose the throttle and look at the sky, it can do it you just have to want it.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: laxattack99

yea im having a lot of trouble trying to get my warrior up. people keep telling me that its really front end heavy. i try popping the clutch but it just goes a little bit faster no lift. so i dont know wat to do</end quote></div>

You either need some new rear tires or you're not leaning back far enough or not pulling up on the bars hard enough.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 03warrior

Then something must be wrong with mine for the good because i can clutch it in third with my butt on the seat just like normal and it comes straight up. and i only have a fmf header, slipon, Prodesign filter mod and some Razr's</end quote></div>

I guess your just a heavy guy if u sit there and u can do a wheelie

Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

mine does wheelies pretty easy, specially coming out of a turn getting sideways in like 2nd gear it likes to raise up, i usually do long 3rd gear wheelies, but the warrior are very nose heavy.

Quick Reply: What to expect from a warrior?