Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly axle pulls out of diff

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly axle pulls out of diff

I have a 2005 grizzly 660 and the front axle on the left side will not stay all the way into the differential. Does anyone know if the axle needs to be replaced or is there an easier fix maybe?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

i have an 03 grizzly 660 had to replace 3 out of the 4 axles theres a oring type clip on the end of the shaft make sure its not gone if its still there u may have to replace the axle shaft its really easy but not cheap go to cv resterations.com they will have everything youll need for the best price if it comes to that id say go back with garilla axles i havent broke one yet and i give mine hell. good luck

Old 09-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

There should be something called a circlip that holds the axle in. When you want to remove the axle you take things apart and jerk the axle out of the diff. Sometimes this can happen while riding. It can't be put back in without disconnecting everything else first. You will probably need to replace the seal and the circlip. You should be able to easily do this yourself. Take it apart, replace the seal and circlip and jam the axle back in. Get a Haynes manual if you want more info. They only cost about $20-$30 bucks and will explain how to do it.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had the axle out of the diff and the clip is still there, it wouldn't wear out would it?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

My understanding is that it has to be replaced if it is pulled out. When I had a seal leak the dealer suggested the problem could be that the axle pulled out while riding. You say the clip is still there, have you shoved the axle back in and tried to ride it again?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I've pushed it in and felt it clip into place but it will be popped out again within 5 minutes of riding. I'm pretty sure that I'll need to replace the axle. It seems to me that the axle would need to get longer or shorter as the suspension travels up and down, so maybe it is binding in the cv joint and actually pulling it out?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

On the end of the axle is a small clip. When you jam the axle into the diff the clip is compressed and then it expands a little on the inside. That and the rest of the suspension parts are all that holds it in. The clip is supposed to be replaced if the axle is removed, so maybe once it pulls out on it's own it won't stay in without the new clip. I assume that you have disconnected the A arms and everything before trying to shove it back in. I don't think it would be easy to get it all the way in unless it was free to move. If your CV joint was binding I would think it would make noise while turning. The axle is a pretty expensive place to start. You could replace the clip and give it a try. You could take the CV joints apart, clean them, inspect them, re-grease them and replace the clip for a lot less than the axle. When I had a seal go bad the dealer suggested that maybe the axle had pulled out causing the seal to be damaged. He said it was something that sometimes happened and did not suggest I replace the axle or CV joints. It would also be a good idea to replace the seal just to be safe.

PS: Mine had to be jammed in with considerable effort. I can't imagine that I could have felt the clip do anything. It makes me wonder if the clip is bent and allowing the axle to slip in and out too easily.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll try that. Thanks for all the replies!

Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

the axle should slide in / out on the inner cv cup. this allows the suspension to travel. if it dosn't slide freely it will possibly pop out. check to make sure it moves before you spend any money. i've had mine out several times and haven't had to replace the o ring. (they only come out when I want them to)

Old 04-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just in case you're interested in my findings on the rear axles coming out.

http://www.grizzlyowners.com/index.c...07&thrid=56189