Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Hey guys im new to ATV's
and im looking into buying one..
so basically im stuck between

Blaster 200 or a raptor ____
i really like 2 strokes because they sounds cool there quick on accelerating and there badass
i dont really like 4 strokes because they sound dumb and i doesnt feel like there fast

ill be mostly mudding and riding the dunes

so 200 blaster 2 stroke or
Rpater ____ 4 stroke
i think im gonna go with the blaster cause there cheaper and i dont got much money

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

2 strokes are out, 4 strokes are in. 2 strokes do have more power with the same size engine than a 4 stroke, but 4 strokes usually require less maintenance. But if cared for properly, a 2 stroke can last a long time (mix oil/fuel correctly, make sure jetting is correct, don't hold it wide open for long periods of time).

I used to be a 2 stroke guy and never thought I would own a 4 stroke, but after the newer 4 stroke technology, I made the switch a few years back and let me tell you, I don't think I will ever own another 2 stroke. Even my weedeater is a 4 stroke now!

With all that said, a Blaster is still not a bad choice for a bike to start out with. The'03-up models are more desirable for their disk brakes, and it would not be wise to spend over $1500 on buying a Blaster.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

We race in a class per AMA that you can have a 200 two stroke or a 300 four stroke. I love our Blaser don't get me wrong but with you running in the mud and sand I wouldn't go with anything other than the 4 stroke. The torque shines in softer tracks or trails and I can't see any other choice here. If it sound that you want, whats better then a slip on thumper pipe. To me the 4 stoke thumper sound is awesome. doesn't the raptor have reverse,which would be a huge benefit. The only down fall I can think of is the Raptor probably doesn't have kick start only electric.
This is only my 2 cents worth but is coming from a Blaster lover and after racing them for three years fairly knowledgable on them.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

I Should have added, if it is money that is holding you back and trust me I have been there and still am. You should look for a Warrior. Basically the same machine and you can pick them up for very little. We had a 98 warrior and it was a fast fun little machine and I am sure that the Blaster could not hold a candle to it in a longer run.
Ok this is just my 3 cents worth.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

dam thanks for the input but yeah money is an issuea cause im only 14 and my birthday was yesterday so my parents agreed to help me buy one......
i really like 2 stroke because they have that quick acceleration and i can use it while on turns..
were the 4 stroke dont accelerate quick so i have to jam the throttle and wait 10 seconds to get to 30 mph lol...
idk i dont plan on going in the mud alot just maybe in and out ...
i mostly use my friends utlity for mudding lol..

Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get your self a 250 or 400cc polaris 2 stroke!

you can grow into it, and when you are ready, you can put some $$ into it and slay banshees and raptor 700's like its your job

Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i mean im kinda set on yamaha cause i love yamaha..
ive had dirtbikes instruments everything from yamaha..
and i mean im not gonna be serious racing just messing around with friends..
but i would like to have the fastest bike out there lol

Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

a warrior or raptor 350 will accelerate faster then a blaster. i used to have a warrior with just a pipe and a 12 tooth sproket and i raced blaster and beat them. but then i was gettin beat buy 450's so i had to get a 700.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

?
i know but if u go from a rolling start and gas it full will it spit dirt everywhere?
and also if i were to get a raptor could i just put a fatty pipe on it then it would sound like a 2 stroke?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

You can't put a Fatty pipe on a 4 stroke, or visa-versa. 4 strokes will always sound like 4 strokes & 2 strokes will always sound like 2 strokes. It's the internal workings of the engine that really give it it's high or low pitched tones.

Quick Reply: 2 stroke or 4 stroke