Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 grizz...won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660 grizz...won't start!

Ok so hears the deal... I was riding one day and I overheated Cuz the radiator was packed full of mud...Well i shut off the wheeler to let it cool down and when I tried to start it back up the starter was dragin really bad and it eventually quit working that day...( bout 15 miles from the truck) haha. Well i was able to use the pull rope for a while to start it until the rope broke...( if you have ever tried to pull start a grizzly you'll know why it broke.) anyways...i got it home and I just assumed it was the starter so I ordered one from ebay and put it on...well It never fixed it...same thing...it won't even try to start...I tested my old starter and it was good..so i wasted 90 bucks on a starter...I hit the starter and NOTHING...no click, no dimming of the lights...nothing...My battery is good...the terminals are clean the solenoid is clean...All the fuses on the solenoid are good and the ones in the fuse box are good. I'm not getting power to the starter when i hit the start button.. I'm also not getting power to the starter side of the solenoid when i hit it either... I can jump the solenoid and get it started...so I'm assuming that's my problem...But I wan't a few more opinions...I took the front rack off and the black plastic off the top of the front fender to expose the intake and wiring harness...all the wires seem to be intacted and the insulation on them looks ok...so i don't think i'm shorted out anywhere. I also should add that the starter relay is working too so thats not the problem either. How can i tell if the switch on the handlebars is bad?? This thing has me puzzeled...What got fried when it overheated!!??? it never had any problem starting before this...

Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

If it got real hot there could be other issues you just can't see. You could have siezed the piston to the cylinder.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst case scenario, you heated it up so bad, the engine seized,but that would not explain the starter not dimming the lights or even trying to work. I don't know about the Grizz,but my quad has a fuse just back from the regulator, check to see if you have any tripped fuseable links, or blown fuses.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

IT"S NOT SIEZED UP!!! IT WILL START WHEN I JUMP THE SOLENOID...HAHA...Oh yeah...I had a warrior that had the fuseable link by the regulator...that thing gave me a headache once too! finally figured out what that was on the trail and fixed it with a gum wrapper...I looked for that on my grizzly and didn't see it...but i did find a ignition fuse in the fuse box..it was good...

Old 09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Seems you have it all figured out, good luck with it!