Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzy VS Sportman HO (Dirtwheels shoutout)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pro-Flow makes an air filter kit for the Kodiak. It costs $100. I'm gonna look into it this spring.

Old 02-01-2001, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Yes the Grizz does have lots of power, but what good does that power do you if smaller quads can run away and hide from you in the trails?

I agree that a utility quad should have lots of power, but if you're going to spend that much money on a quad it should be good for play too. The Grizz can't play with the others. In any tight trail with any bumps you'll never keep up with a Wolverine, a Kodiak, a Rubicon, or most other Sport/utility quads.

If Yamaha could tame the suspension a bit and make the beast handle like a quad and not a tank, I'd love to have one.

Old 02-01-2001, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

I was disturbed as to the lack of professionalism and objectivity in this shootout the "bears" (authors) must hold stock in polaris not mention an 130 pound weight differential on a 100cc less machine and the true effect of that weight. The only reason the griz won two categories is because the first 500 ho broke down (heard that before) I own a grizzly so of course im bias. Last weekend I rode in deep snow with 8 other machines. two polaris, two suzuki, two hondas, two wolverines. My griz broke trail with chains all day except for an 100 yard attempt by a polaris and a rubi for three miles. The griz is a mans machine tough, and very capable. I will own a Kaw 650 soon but I will keep the griz.

Old 02-01-2001, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

The one thing they left out of the article that I think also makes the Grizzly a better quad is looks. The Grizzly has that military tough look to it, like "here I am and I mean business". I think the SP500 looks wimpy by comparison, a very tame looking quad!

Rick

Old 02-01-2001, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

If the first sp broke, which it did, it should have lost the shootout. In the real world, they don't come up to you and hand you a new 4-wheeler when your stuck/broke down out in the woods. On the other hand, Polaris is a superior mudder and smoother ride although higher center of gravity and maintenance.

Old 02-01-2001, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

I have raced kodiaks in tight trails and won. alot to do with ATV's are the rider, not the machine. The grizzly has 7.5 travel, which is more than the kodiak, so it should ride better NO!
I would like to see a real torture test, and i mean putting the quads to there limits and see who will break first, i mean real world working and pulling. Who will be the last standing and still ready to go.
I think it would be between Honda and Yamaha, hell a brand new SP broke not even going through any torture and won the shootout.

OH well! We know the truth.

Old 02-01-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

i have heard and seen my share of grizz breakdowns also so lighten up guys!!!

Old 02-02-2001, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

I believe that mechanical problems with a Grizzly are far and few in between! They are the exception not the rule.Thats been my experience anyway. When was the last time you heard a Grizzly owner complain about burning up a belt?! Clearly the Grizzly is mechanically superior! Its record speaks for itself.

Rick

Old 02-02-2001, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I seen a Grizz rider burn up his belt?''HUM''that would be the last time I seen a Grizz!He was crossing a stream of deep water and wound up being pulled out of the water cause his belt was slipping.But I know,that does'nt count.
Bill

Old 02-02-2001, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

You know what they say about people in Glass houses...

As for the person who said they should have taken looks into account...I don't think that would have help; a Grizzly has looks only its owner could love. It's not a pretty machine.

Quick Reply: Grizzy VS Sportman HO (Dirtwheels shoutout)