Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzy VS Sportman HO (Dirtwheels shoutout)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to power slide a 4wd and let us know what happens.If a 4wd could handle better than a 2wd thay would be racing them.The Dodge 3500 is a 4x4 and the Corvette is a 2wd by the way.

Old 02-04-2001, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Every quad has its fan club.Some people like the Grizz , some like the Polaris SP 500.
From my perspective I like the body design from Yamaha much more than Polaris.
I do not like a solid axle,I do not like air cooling. /wiring harness connections placed under the rear fender is not good/,limited slip differencial is not appealing to me either.
IRS,liquid cooling and true 4wd are the decisive
factors.
Reliability issue , well,it is always used against Polaris to discredit the brand. Usually by non Polaris owners.But I don't want to get into this kind of discussion. It would be boring as someone said.
Joe

Old 02-04-2001, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

They do race 4x4's. Lots of them.

And you can do all the power slides you want. I don't see how that's going to help you go faster down a bumpy, narrow trail. It might help you flip it.
I don't understand your logic. The grizz is fast in a straight line, and has a high top speed, what has that got to do with power sliding in trails. I'm talking about TRAILS, not racing an oval flat track.

As for your comments about 2wd/4wd, there was a whole thread on that last week. The advantages that 2wd quads have over 4wd are lighter weight.
For the life of me, I can't figure out how switching a Grizz into 2wd is going to make it lighter.

If you're open minded about this at all, we can arrange to get together this spring and go for a ride. If you know someone with a Grizz you can get them to come along.

Personally, I wouldn't own a Rubicon, but I think your critizims of it are completely unfounded.

Old 02-04-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Ya but you can put the dodge in 2 wheel drive so it must sporty!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2001, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I agree totally with your comment made we all have our likes and dislikes,Do we all drive the cars and trucks.I just do not like when we here someone always putting down a specific bike all the time.You know who you are T***.And to think he has not even riden one.

Old 02-04-2001, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Lets make this simpler to understand.Any 4wd quad that is capable of being switch into 2wd will go through a twisty trail alot better in it,s 2wd mode than in it,s 4x4 tractor mode.A Warrior will handle turns better than it's Wolverine brother because it can kick it,s back end out with the use of the throttle, which is impossible with a 4wd.I know your Wolverine and Rubicon are condemned to the life of a 4x4 forever but if they could be capable of being switched to 2wd your trail times and pleasure would improve greatly. Who really wants to be stuck in 4wd when riding down some long flat country road anyways?I know Honda is dedicated to it,s full time 4wd ways now, but Yamaha,Kawasaki,Suzuki and Artic Cat also were at one time but now they have seen the light.In time Honda will make that bold new step also, so for now just hang tight.

Old 02-04-2001, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

You're not making it any simpler to understand at all.
You're saying that a warrior is quicker than a wolverine because it's only 2wd. Well, I say it's quicker because it's lighter. I'd like to know how you're going ot slide your quad around turns when there are roots, bumps and rocks there. In most trail situations you want traction to give you forward momentum, which a 4x4 will have more of.
And if you want to prove to me that's it better, this spring you can come here, or I'll go there, and you can try to keep up with me in two wheel drive, and then four wheel drive, and see if it makes a difference.

If you want to compare this issue to automobiles and racing, why don't we talk about Rally racing? They're racing on smooth surfaces with poor traction, and 4wd's rule outright. There are no competitive 2wd rally cars.

In anycase, you're getting off the topic. I know from riding with a friend with a Grizzly that when the trail gets rough it wants to kick him off. This problem could be addressed by changing the shocks or springs maybe, but as new, the Grizzly does not like to be driven aggressivly. That's not to say that a big person with lots of experience can't ride it at impressive speeds. I'm only trying to say that the Rubicon is more of a sport/utility than the Grizz is.

As for your remark about the pleasures of part time 4wd; I'm sure there are some advantages, at least I hope there are. However, going quickly down a trail is not one of them, and they have to be weighed against increased cost, complexity, and the greater chance of something going wrong.

Old 02-05-2001, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Don't forget POWER and RELIABILITY, and rock tough.
Were in two differnt classes when it comes to that. I'll take a little rough riding any day to keep power and reliability.
The funny thing about it is everytime a shootout is done with an SP, something breaks or malfunctions, but it rides so well. Lets see a reliable test done, where the machines are abused and see who can go home a winner.
Make it TOUGH and it will be number 1.

Old 02-05-2001, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Oh ya and Water Proof the dam thing, and add a drain plug just in case.
Belt slippage is really embarassing, i would think!

Old 02-05-2001, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing more I'd love to do than ride with Yam8 for awhile.We could drag race,[ I win]we could mud,[I win]we could hill climb[probably pretty close,but I still win] we could???

''I'D STILL WIN'' [LoL]
Bill

Quick Reply: Grizzy VS Sportman HO (Dirtwheels shoutout)