Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee for the trails...yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee for the trails...yes or no?

You make a good point in saying get the quad because you want to have fun on it, not just because it's cheapest. I try to keep that in mind most of the time, but when you see a great deal like that its hard to pass up. Most anyone who has a banshee or has had one tells me that I'd be fine on open trails. Another one I'm starting to look into is the YFZ 450. What do you guys think about that? I'm looking between the '04-'06 models. Keep in mind, though, I'm 6'1'' and 150lbs.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The Yfz will be better than a Banshee but not by much! Both of these bikes are designed to build power in the upper end of the RPM range and therefore there is allot of clutch slipping required when it comes time for technical trail riding. You might not think you need it but it will come upon you sometime as you riding ability increases.

These engines use slipper pistions that are light for higher RPM's making for a rebuild much sooner than a traditional 4 stroke engine. I would only buy a 450 for mxing at a banshee for the Dunes/drag racing. The thing of the banshee is you are going to use it for trail riding the initial cost of the bike is cheep but where it gets expensive is the suspension upgrades that you could of had if you just bought a good trail machine in the first place!

P.S. Where you make up the differance in power from a two stoke to a 4 stroke is the amount of cc's you have this is why Yamaha came out with Yfz 450 to comete with the Honda 250R's!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

So, from the feedback I'm getting, I shouldn't be afraid to get a Banshee or 450 class quad but I should keep in mind that I might need to do upgrades and regular maintenance will come sooner than if I were to get a quad better suited for the job. I've also heard a lot of good things come from the Predator 500. I know there is one for sale at one of my local dealers. It's a used, but in good condition, 2006 going for $3150. Now, I have heard a lot of bad about Polaris too but I learned that most of that comes from people who have never owned a Polaris and have jumped on the "polaris bashing" bandwagon lol.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The Predator is a ok machine not the best choice but you would be much more happy with it than a Banshee or any 450 bike! The 400 class bikes have much more aftermarket support for them, making them much more buildable!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm Polaris has great Utes and Sleds..But they way behind in the sport ATV area..I know you are on a budget..But your best bet is a Raptor 700 or a 660,They are the cream of the crop of trail-sport hybrids..They are bulletproof and need ar less maint then a 450 and god knows a Banshee..Winter is coming,have fun in the snow with that big rancher and wait for the good deal on a Raptor to come ..It will.. Ohh BTW one of my first ATV's was a Trail-boss 330..It was a horrible machine..My 03 Wolverine was leaps and bounds above it..I ride very tough trails here,very technical..And trust me I see lots of two stokes that just cant tough out the modern trails..I built my Raptor so I can go just about awywhere and scary fast (except the really deap mud holes) But hey I try anyway..I ride alone allot and have never got my Raptor in a place where I cant get out..