Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A MAJOR DISAPOINTMENT......

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A MAJOR DISAPOINTMENT......

Eh right now id prolly sell it for 1k...

Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 97YamahaWarrior

This is crazy, I tried that trick you told me and it didnt start [img][/img] Any other ideas what it could be?</end quote></div>

Then you eliminated if you're getting fuel as a problem. So now you need to verify if you indeed have a good spark, if you have compression, and if the timing is correct. You can check compression with a gauge, or you can hold your finger over the sparkplug hole without the plug in it and turn the engine over with the starter and it should blow your finger off of the hole. Not a very accurate way to test it, but if it doesn't blow your finger away you know you need to check into it further, maybe go buy a gauge.

You can also check the timing very easily. Remove the sparkplug, remove the cam cover, remove the plastic plug in the top of the stator, and remove the plastic cover on the end of the stator. Look in the hole in the top of the stator where you removed the plastic plug and turn the engine with a 17mm wrench (do not use the starter!) until you can see a "T" stamped in the metal of the magneto/stator. Stick a clean screwdriver in the sparkplug hole and turn the bolt on the end of the crank that was under the stator cover (17mm) to turn the engine until the piston gets to the very top (it will push the screwdriver up in the sparkplug hole). When the piston is all the way to the top and the "T" is visible, the mark on the cam gear should be at about 11 o'clock (lined up with the "tit" on the head).

Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks man, ill have to try those next time im at my dads house.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

i saw the list of parts you replaced, did you change the coil wire? i did not see that part on there.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

which coil wire are you talking about?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

He is talking about the wire that goes from your coil to your spark plug. I am not sure if you can detach the wire from the coil like some of the older bikes but if you can I would take it off and trim about an 1/8" off of each end and make sure the wires are in the center of the coil wire and then screw the wire back onto the coil and then to the spark plug cap this will help in getting a better electrical connection and if you have any silicone spray put some on all of the connection's after you put them back together or you can use some dyelectric grease both work very well.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer

I put a brand new one on there a few weeks ago

Old 10-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

Well I tried putting my thumb on the plug hole and trying to start it and it acctually just sucked and didnt blow at all. Also im about to go and get a new plug.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Yeah, it will suck your thumb on the downstroke or the 'intake' stroke, but it should blow your finger on the next upstroke because the piston is coming up to compress the air/fuel mixture and the valves will be shut, so the air has nowhere to go but out of the sparkplug hole.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

Well it does blow out some but not enough to completely blow my thumb off.

Quick Reply: A MAJOR DISAPOINTMENT......