Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What other years/parts will work on the 2001 Blaster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What other years/parts will work on the 2001 Blaster?

Hi,

My friend and I just bought a couple of 2001 Blasters as second bikes. They have some neglect but nothing we cannot handle. My question is what other years of the Blaster have the same design as the 2001? I need to get a rear brake caliper assembly and am hoping to buy used to help save some cash. If I know what years match up I can buy from someone parting one out.

Thanks for any help!

Sue

Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

I might be wrong but I am not sure they changed a thing except for looks. I beleive our parts bike is a 98 or so and we ride 2006's. Did your caliper just dry up or what is the issue. I have a 2003 that I just finished building into a 90 mod for MX and I found that the time the bike sat the sliding rods on top really rusted up and just took some lube and cleaning. You could cross reference on Ronniesonline and see for sure what would work, they have all the microfiche for about everything.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cool that is what I was hoping but I was not sure. One of the bikes is actually missing the entire rear caliper and cable assembly. Apparently the old owner removed it because it was rubbing.... Not a good idea to ride without rear brakes but heh what do I know. LOL

I think once we rebuild the carbs, clean out the gas tank/lines, and replace the oil they will start right up. I need to soak one of the chains in WD40 or something to try and loosen it up. They also need seat covers. These bikes had been in Mexico many times but never got properly cleaned when they came home so there is some minor surface rust on the chain but I think it is fixable. They have also been sitting in this guys garage for 2 years untouched. We got a smokin deal on them and since they are second bikes we want to try and save some cash wherever we can.

Any other suggestions on what we should do to get them rteady to tide again?

Thanks!
Sue

Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

If they still have the oil injection hooked up I would definitley make sure the injection is working and not plugged from sitting. Remember chain is cheap compared to an engine case if they break, I'm not saying to not use the old ones but just be sure they are ok. As far as the back brakes, is the oil resevoir and everything gone from the pedal up? My concern would be if just the line and caliper are gone that the resevoir and plunger are dried up too.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good point! I am not sure but will be sure to check it tomorrow in the daylight. There is a guy parting out an 04 on craigslist and I am hoping I can buy the whole brake assembly from him. It is nice to have 2 bikes so I can compare and make sure I get all the arts I need. I think it is just crazy they removed the entire thing!

Yes the oil injection is still hooked up on both bikes. There is oil in the reservoir but it is at least 2 years old so I want to drain it and replace. I will make sure to check those lines before starting the bike. Thanks so much for that tip. Probably saved my engine! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I agree on the chain. I need to evaluate it more closely before I decide. All I had time to do today was power wash them at the car wash. Hopefully we can take some things apart tomorrow and know what we are really looking at.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

As far as the back brakes, yep seems a little different to me. It does tell me though that there was a problem with them and they would need fixing anyhow. Maybe trail riding the back isn't real important, that I can't say because I don't do it but as far as MX you couldn't do it with out the rears locking up the corner entrance. The Blasters are a fun little machine, the problem we have in the series that we run is the Blasters run in the Youth Production class. We are AMA sanctioned and the rules state that to be a production machine is has had to be manufactured with in the last 4 years and available to the public. Given this our big $$ Blaster is done in 2010 in the production class, we still have Youth Modified we can run with it. Sorry didn't mean to get off the topic, as far as your bikes it would hurt when you have the wd-40 out to shoot it down the cables as well and while you are at it throw a compression tester in and make sure the compression is ok.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cool I will do all those things. I know so much about jetskis but my quads have always been newer and I have not had to do much to them. Luckily my friend knows the previous owner and we do know that were not beat up just a bit neglected. Mostly cosmetic and likely minor mechanical. Plus we only paid $250 each so I feel pretty good about them. I wish I could buy more bikes that cheap! I think this will be a fun bike to ride. I have an 04 Kawasaki KFX400 and before that had a 2000 Honda 300EX so I have never had a 2 stroke quad. Funny I almost bought one as my first quad but decided to go with the Honda to get reverse and electric start and I just wanted a bit more power but I think the 2 stroke motor will be decent.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

in 03 they changed the brakes from mechanical disc brakes to hydraulic disc brakes, so you need parts from a pre 03 model. to bad they stopped making the blaster, it was a mean little quad...

Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the update DVR, I did not know that . The older one we got must have been converted because it was hydraulic. But 250 apiece is a good deal even if you have to stick a little in them.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider

im not gonna lie, the mechanical brakes on the blaster are junk. that was the only complaint on the blaster that ive ever heard. they finnaly gave the 03 and up models the hydraulic brakes, courtsey of its big brother quad the 660r raptor. but i dont understand why they didnt change them sooner. if its possible ide convert the mechanical brakes to hydraulic brakes.