Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2009 Grizzly 450 Ultramatic Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Grizzly 450 Ultramatic Transmission Question

Just bought a 2009 Grizzly 450 4X4 IRS for $5,000. Zero miles and just had it's dealer prep done. I'm not big on automatics, but settled on one since it accomodates the whole family.

I just went on my initial break-in ride yesterday and I have a question about Yamaha's Ultramatic transmission.

When taking off from a stop (in high, low, or reverse), I push on the throttle and the engine increases in RPM slightly before the transmission engages. At times, if feels like the transmission delays and engages more abruptly than I prefer. No slippage and no issues once rolling.

For those familiar with these things, is this somewhat normal? If not, is a there a belt adjustment?

It only came with an owner's manual and I do not have my factory service manual yet.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

First off welcome to the Forums!

I have a '07 Grizz 450 and love it!

Yamaha's transmission (Well and 95% of the Utility ATV's on the market today) is what is known as a CVT (constant variable transmission). What happens is, when you increase engine RPM the front (primary) will engage the belt and start to move the quad forward...you will just have to get used to it... trust me you aren't going to hurt anything... It is not instant like with a Manual ATV.

Here is a link to how Snowmobile CVT's work... pretty much the same as ATV CVT's
How an CVT tranny works

Manual -- did you say Factory Service Manual -- well here ya go! It is a link w/instructions on how to download a copy of the 03-06 Kodiak 450 manual... same machine for the most part (plastics, rear-wet brake not covered) as the 07-09 Grizzly 450's.

Manual

http://www.savefile.com/files/74511

The link for the manual works but sometimes you just need to work it a bit...

1. Click the link in the Message
2. Scroll down to the Section in the BLUE Box that says "05-06 Kodiak 450" and Click "DOWNLOAD FILE"
3. Your download SHOULD start...

IF NOT

4. Scroll down to the Bottom.... where you will see
" Your download should begin shortly.
If it does not, try <u>Download file now</u>
"

That should do the trick [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider

does the belt drive operates off centrifugal force? that makes it kind of like a stall converter in a race car.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome, thank you.

I'm sure I'll get used to the transmission. I fully admit I'm a bit ****, so maybe I was just expecting a different belt engagement. I've always been a manual shift type of rider.

I did my homework on the CVT concept and it's fundamentals, but the link you attached did have useful pictures to put things in perspective.

Thanks for the manual......just what I was looking for! Didn't want to pay the $70 for one at the local dealer yet.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

hey dont know if this is what you mean but i thought i would chime in. is it doing it going from one gear to another? my wolverine does that so i just rock it a little after i shift and you will hear it drop in, or just bump the throttle and let off and that will usually do the trick also.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

SKJ283: I know what you are referring to, sometimes I have to do that too, especially when shifting into LOW or PARK gears.

What I meant is that there is a slight delay from when I open the throttle to when the ATV actually engages and rolls.

For example, I'm in High gear and driving around, then I stop, staying in High gear. When I take off again, I was expecting an instantaneous belt engagement, but there is momentary pause before it rolls.

From what I just read elsewhere, this is common. Just new for us hardcore manual-shift folks.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: skj283

hey dont know if this is what you mean but i thought i would chime in. is it doing it going from one gear to another? my wolverine does that so i just rock it a little after i shift and you will hear it drop in, or just bump the throttle and let off and that will usually do the trick also.</end quote></div>

If you have to bump/rock it to get into Neutral / High / Reverse then you should adjust your shift linkage.

My Grizzly 450 needs slight rocking to get into Low, but if on level ground it goes into park quite nicely... mind you this is AFTER I adjusted the shift linkage [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Here is the Quote/Post from Hefty Lefty and my notes I added

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HeftyLefty

I don't know what you've done to adjust the linkage, but the simple way to fix it right is to disconnect the linkage at the transmission, with the switch OFF turn the key ON. Move the tranny shifter until the Neutral indicator lights up. Gently rock the bike to verify it's in Neutral. Turn the key off.

Move the fender gear selector to Neutral, adjust the linkage between the two-while your at it clean and lube the linkage-to remove slack and reconnect. Check all shifter positions for solid engagement by rocking the bike.

if you've done all this, my apologies. The only things left are bent-worn linkage, or shifter fork in transmission is worn.</end quote></div>

My Notes:

Nice!! I adjusted my shifter linkage this afternoon!! Too easy actually...

Now I have all my lights back!! Woo Hoo [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] Goes into gear real nice now! Turns out it was never adjusted "Just Right" from the Stealership during Setup... I lubed up both shift joints with moly grease as well....

This is a REAL Easy adjustment! Though it can be tempermental... So grap yourself a 12mm and 8mm open ended wrench along with a 10mm socket for removing the shift linkage off of the Tranny.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There maybe a slight hesitation in high range but in low range there should be none whats so ever.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I gave up on "manual" transmissions a while ago and have had a Polaris 700 Sportsman and now own a Rhino 660 and Grizzly 700 EPS. What you describe "sounds normal" to what I experience, but I would suggest that you find someone with a similar machine or go to your dealer to make sure you are not getting some leakage onto your belt as this happened to my brother and since he had no experience with a CVT thought it was "normal". The best anyone on here can tell you as that what you describe "sounds normal" not that it is.

Both of my Yamahas often need a little throttle blip to get them into low range on occasion.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yamaha uses a wet clutch inside the motor in conjunction with the belt drive. The belt is always engaged as opposed to how a Polaris ATV or snowmobile belt drive works. Yamaha has a way better system since the wet clutch (submersed in engine oil) is what takes up the engagement rather than the drive clutch spinning up and squeezing the belt to take off. I've towed small vehicles around my yard with my 450 and never burned a belt. I was very hesitant to buy a belt drive ATV but my Yamaha dealer for the past 20 years told me he has only sold 10 replacement belts since Yamaha went to the system and I took the chance. I've not had any problems and love the auto for mud, technical riding and hillclimbing. Just punch it and go!

Quick Reply: 2009 Grizzly 450 Ultramatic Transmission Question