Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear 400 IRS as a first atv?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear 400 IRS as a first atv?

I'm looking to get my first atv, and after browsing all the manufacturers it looks like the yamaha big bear would be a good beginner's quad. I don't need alot of bells and whistles, just a good simple 4wd rig that would be durable and easy to maintain. This would be for wooded trail riding.

So is the big bear a good choice? Does the aircooled motor handle slower speed riding ok? Is it tame enough for a beginner (I'm 29 and about 200lbs/ 5'10" btw).

Old 10-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big bear is a great machine for what it is, a mud and swamp riding machine. Most people find that shifting constantly gets old and the bear is geared too low for trail riding-leading to more shifting- and they long for taller gears; since going fast requires wide open throttle.

For trail riding at speeds your buddies won't leave you behind, look at the grizzly 450. It has IRS, hi/lo range tranny, and plenty of power for trailing.
I know it's a CVT auto, but who wants to try and find a shifter with their toe when it's buried in the mud, anyway?.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Big Bear is a great quad. I almost bought one but instead got the 450 because all my buddies rode automatic Honda Rincons. The reasons I wanted an auto were for mud running, hill climbing and snow riding. It's just really difficult to shift an auto clutch quad fast enough to stay on the power in those conditions. With an auto you just punch it and go!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

a guy i used to work with has an 08 honda forman 500 and i ate him up on a rocky trail that climbed a half mile or more in length on my 99 350 big bear. i also tore an Iger 400 a new one on the same trial. compare it after riding it against the competition. does it go as fast as the others? no, not really but then again who really wants to go that damn fast on a quad anyway? some people might, i like the slow and difficult trail riding.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I'm just looking for a durable machine for putzing through the woods and get out and enjoy nature; not interested in going fast or tearing down the trails. So I guess the big bear will suit my needs.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Big Bear 2 wheel drive and love, would rather have a 4x4 but it tears through mud better than any other 2wheel drive ive seen/ridden. My personal preferences i like the auto clutch and the low 1st gear, great for pulling someone out or pulling a heavy load of logs,etc. and the manual trans is quieter than the CVT's, my dad has a rhino and that thing is loud as heck winding up, and you just don't feel that straight motor to wheels power

Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

if a durable machine for putting around trails is what you want, then the big bear will not do you wrong. mine is a monster. its been flipped, tipped, buried in mud and water, sat under a tree with the plastic and carb plumbing off it for 5 years before i got it, and the stealership resurrected it and now im giving it hell. i sit on the seat, turn the key, put it in neutral, squeeze the throttle once, click the run switch to run and press the start button. the starter will go neh neh twice and then putt putt putt putt putt....................

hell i dont have to choke it on cool mornings. she fires right up.

edit:

and mine has never overheated. just make sure that the oil cooler is not stopped up or blocked and dont let mud build up around the cylinder head. heat dissipation is the main key with cooling this quad. you dont even have to go that fast to cool the motor down if it does get warm. 15 mph does fine for me. i can feel the heat being blown away at that slow speed.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are the perfect Big Bear owner. I was attracted to the Big Bear because of it's simplicity and great features. Basically, it is a great quad! But, my wife ended up making things clear to me when she said, "I thought the main reason who want to sell your Eiger because you want an auto for riding with your friends (who have Rincons). If it wasn't for that, I'd be on a Big Bear.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I could have got any quad I wanted even with the bride's permission and I chose the Big Bear 400 4x4 because it's exactly what I need .

I wanted simple and rugged because I like to play in the bush hunting,trapping and fishing . We often are way,way off the beaten track and if some unforeseen prob came up I can likely fix it enough to limp out at the worst .

She's just a putt,putt machine yet has ***** of power if you need her to dig deep and will work harder than many .

We snowplow,icefish,hunt,trap,trailride,sometimes mud, pull trees etc .and the Big Bear does it all and is cheap on fuel to boot . 45-50 mph top end is plenty enough for us also but if your looking for more speed than that then this bike you won't like .

TD