Rolled Grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled Grizzly 660

Hi,
First post here...
Anyways, I received a call from my local police department at about 5 this morning, they mentioned that I needed to get in touch with them regarding my 4-wheeler. SO I got dressed and I went outside to where my ATV was parked (it is street legalized) which was across the street from my house. Turns out, there were 3 officers and 3 patrol cars. I brought my paperwork and the keys assuming there was some kind of problem with licensing or something. To my astonishment, the offers explained to me that my ATV had been found rolled completely inverted on the sidewalk. They had already removed it from the sidewalk and parked it back on the street. Of course I was clueless is to how this could have happened except the fact that possibly a few drunk people could have rolled it during the night. Sounds like a pretty risky thing to do on a main residential street (two blocks away from the city police department and anohter 2 blocks from University police) and it takes quite a bit of effort to completly invert a 660cc ATV. The damages that I can see are broken turn signals, a broken mirror , scrapes and scuffs and most obvious of all, a bent handlebar. I waited several hours before attempting to start it only to find out that it has barely any gas and there is some kind of fluid on the sidewalk presumably from my ATV. I take it the machine is still flooded. I was wanting to know if there is the possibility of any more damage. I have never rolled my ATVs before so I do not have any knowledge on what compenents are possible damaged as a result. I understand that I should not attempt to use the machine until a dealer or mechanic looks at it but I'd like a preview before I haul it back to my storage unit. Thanks.

Moral of the story; do not leave your 4-wheelers in the streets of a college town. It is very unfortunate that I will probably never be able to point a finger at whoever did this and worst of all, the damages are coming out my my pocket.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

is your battery sealed? check the fluid level if it has vent caps then check the oil level. if the oil is ok and does not smell like gas, then put gas in the tank. have the fuel shutoff valve off. take the spark plug out of the block. rotate the motor over several times to evacuate the cylinder if any fuel that might be in there. put the plug back in and turn the fuel back on. the quad should start. the handlebars are about 75 to 100 bucks for a new set. you can change those yourself.

if it was just turned over and left, the damage should be just what you see. it is a bit different when you are riding one and it takes a spill while it is moving with parts turning. the mirrors and lenses you can get off fleabay or the stealership.

it is sad a man cant have **** without some punk wanting to tear it up. that is precisely why i park my quad in my front yard right beside my bedroom window. if my 100 pound pit bull does not scare them off, me standing on my porch in my boxers with a loaded gun in my hand might get my point across.

in all seriousness, the quad should be ok. and where do you live? man i would love for tennessee to let atvs be street legal.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Check you air box ,there must be alot of oil sitting in there by now.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cadillacdude1975

and where do you live? man i would love for atvs be street legal.</end quote></div>

Heck yeah, let's all move there!

Your Grizzly should be fine, do what cadillac said and you should be good to go. The main thing is the oil level and if any oil got on top of the piston, but if it did it will just burn it of and smoke a little.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I live in Wyoming, its amazing how chill they are with ATV's. If your seriously considering moving here, check out our ATV laws (http://dot.state.wy.us/Default.jsp?sCode=vehad). I'm just going to trailer the poor machine down to the dealer, I definitely believe the air filter is clogged with gas and oil. Their is also some other fluid leaking out of the machine, it doesn't have the smell of gasoline and its nowhere near the oil reservoir so maybe its brake or gear fluid? I guess I'll print this thread out and check it out again in the morning.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

ahh yes, i forgot about the master cylinder. it could be brake fluid. that quad is probably water cooled too. check the radiator. you can clean the air filter and respray it with the charging oil. wipe out the air box too in case there is some oil in there. and yes, do not be surprised if it smokes for a few minutes on that initial start up. that would be normal while the oil burns off the piston.

i would do these things first before taking it to the dealer. they are small steps you can take that will save you a load of money. the stealership will do these and charge for them. i would do it myself that way they can not rape you too bad.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/...d=115&leafCatId=11503

there is the link to order new handlebars. follow the prompts. keep us posted.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior