Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 kodiak....please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 kodiak....please help

Excellent resource!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU....

back to testing...will keep ya posted. thanks for the help so far and please don't hesitate to throw around any more ideas...this issue is still far from over, but at least I've got a direction to go in now....

Old 10-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have a manual you can Download if you need it has the everything broke down and hot to do thing's and show's the wiring as well. Have one for the Grizzly 400 and grizzly 450 but the 400 Grizz is the same for the kodiak 400 Minus the IRS. Either way let me know if ya need it and I will email it to ya..

Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the offer...paid 6.95 and found out the source coils is about 300ohm out of spec....thats gotta be it... will keep ya'll updated.... One question left though...is this all a big coincidence or will this happen again if i stress the winch....? how do i tell.... ?? i'm still not really able to fully understand what caused the falier in the first place, and i have a hard time believing that the wire was bad to start with... it didnt just burn....there is no insulation left for all 4 or so feet of it.... and i caught it pretty quick when it started smoking. that leads me to believe that somehow either the charging system somehow let go and increased its output by 10 fold......OR somehow the winch is shorting though that chassis ground... will do a closer exam while i wait for parts... but if anyone gets this and has an idea that is even remotly plausible...please....lemme have it.

thanks again heftylefty for that link.... best 7 buck i ever spent

Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok...so everything checks out.... still no spark. someone please help me avoid buying a cdi..... any other things to try before i bite the bullet?