Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 kodiak....please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 kodiak....please help

so i was winching a log out of the way when the quad starded to slip. as it was in reverse already i gave her a little gas to hold my ground. all of the sudden i'm sitting on a stalled quad that wont start.

many hrs of recovery later, its quite obvious that i burnt up the coil ground wire pretty good. checked other wires...all good. replaces burnt wire....no spark. so i pull the coil, seems to test ok... working on pulling the stator, but i could really use some help wrapping my head around what happened in the first place and why i still have no spark.

best i can figure, when i gassed the quad while winching i must have somehow spiked the charging/ignition system and it overloaded and burnt up.

as best as i can tell the winch was installed properly(just bought the quad a week ago), and though ive never put it under such stress before, it has been used here and there to self recover...

i ran some prelim tests on the stator wires, but without a referance as to what good values are i can only use logic.... i am pretty mechanically inclined and am starting to feel like i'm missing the bigger picture here.......any ideas???
PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Is it possible that the wire was already damaged and it just went dead at that moment?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

...well i guess its possible, but shouldnt the charging system regulate itself so as to prevent such an overload? (assuming it wasnt damaged already) and furthermore, why am i still getting no spark?

i pulled the stator cover and inspected/tested to the best of my ability and it seems to all be within reasonable limits, but as stated previously, i am going off of general #s for resistance as i am having a hard time finding exact specs for a 99 kodiak.

i just bought this quad (my first) a week ago..... please, any help getting her back on the trail would be awsome...thanks in advance!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

this happend the same way on my yamaha big bear check the main fuse it is blowed the main fuse cost about 50 cents to 1 dollar

Old 10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

the 30 amp....? its fine. btw ...even though no spark everthing else seems to work just fine...including the winch/lights ect.... any more ideas....PLEASE!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

have you tried a new spark plug if the plug is bad or it might be the plug wire but i have winched out a lot of stuff i have rode my hard i have hot rod it and that is the only thing i would know hope you get it fixed

Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

if the stator is bad, you wont get a spark.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

have you checked the ingition fuse if it is bad it wont start

Old 10-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

all fuses checked and tested...... new plug.... all ignition parts within spec as far as i can tell...anyone have specks for a 99 kodiak 400 ignition/charging/cdi/reg/rect system????

Old 10-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Download a manual here for $6.95.

www.powersportresource.com