Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Oh no broken of bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no broken of bolt

Well this wasn't in the planning book LOL I was pulling off the left side crank case cover and I got eight of the bolts loose and half way out, then I got to my last one and all of a sudden there it was, a stomach ake... I broke one off, it felt fine I guess I wasn't really putting to much presure on it. But it's now broke... How do I get it out, not that is my problem, can I use a easy out or something like that there's just a tiny bit showing, but not enough for vise grips or anything, any help would be cool I sprayed them all really good with pb but it's just that the Factory bolts were OLD and I guesssssssss Not very Darn gooddddddddd

Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

ok. IMO i would put the case side back on, so you dont get any forign material in the engine, then follow the instructions and use an easy out.

i did the same thing with a bolt on my foreman. use alot of pb and take your time drilling a hole and using the easy out. make sure you dont drill into the case!
dont feel bad it happends to people

Old 11-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks LOL I will try it as soon as I can get the easy out

Old 11-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

If I was you id take that peice to a machinist, i had the same problem and i broght it to a guy around the corner and he did it for 20 bucks.

If you get that easy out broke in there its goin to be a huge problem!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you use the ease out i would take a heat gun or my fav a oxy/acetalyne rig and heat the aluminum around it. aluminum will heat faster than the steel and expand. in turn letting the threads turn loose from the broken stud. if you have soaked the bolt in PB's then i would just use a heat gun.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Whatever you do, do NOT torque hard on the EZ-out. They will not bend, and you won't feel it coming, but they will break in an instant and leave you in a whole world of ****. If you decide to heat it, just be careful not to overheat it. Apply the heat slowly and evenly until you think it is enough.

EDIT: Also, a personal recommendation is trying a left handed drill bit. You run the drill in reverse to drill the hole and many times it will bite in the broken bolt and back it right on out of the threads, rather than screwing with an EZ out

Old 11-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer

an easy out is an ok option but definatly use some heat, a small propane torch should work fine, just take your time, the only other thing I could think of would be to drill the bolt out and rethread the hole, but that could be dificult keeping the drill bit centered while drilling out the bolt, probly a last option

Old 11-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

thats what the guy used to get the bolt out of my honda recon reverse cable bolt, He just used a reverse drill bit and it came out with a lil working on it.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I'd put a nut of the same size on the little stud sticking out and weld the nut on. Heat the case where the threads are and take it out with a wrench.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thats a good option also, some guys take a washer and weld it to the bolt and then take and weld a nut onto the washer.

Quick Reply: Oh no broken of bolt