Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Hampshire atv- Sport or Utility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hampshire atv- Sport or Utility?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: beefy46172

How big/fast of a bike are you looking into? A Yamaha Warrior/Raptor 350 is a sport bike, but they are also known for doing very well in rough terrain and conditions where other sport bikes don't do so well, and they also are damn near bulletproof. However, they are not the fastest quad around (top speed 58-60) or the most nimble, but they get the job done in a wide variety of conditions, and are very torque-y.</end quote></div>

With all of your mods they can be really torque-y but stock not really.Coming off my polaris which has no lowend to speak of(2 stroke).I was not really impressed with the raptor 350's lowend.I ride one almost every weekend.The lug down capabilities to just let off the clutch and idle through stuff is phenominal though.The handling is ok if not iffy the raptor to me seemed more slideable than the warrior.But for me utility or sport as a starter my polaris 40hp stock is what I would recomend prices 1000 to 2000 with a decent speed of 67mph.Sport bike handling and look with True 4 wheel drive.Most manufacturers 4x4 are acutally 3 wheel drive.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Scrambler's are a hell of a quad, I will give you that--but I just have heard of way too many issues with Polaris to ever foray there. And yes, with my mods my Warrior wants to wheelie until 5th gear, so that makes my reasoning biased, but even stock they are very torquey---but enough of this hijack, he has said he wants something bigger anyway, and I think the 700r would be a good choice.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

Agreed

Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Beefy what do you think the top speed on the 700R is, and then top speed on a grizzly 550?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

The 700r observed top speeds are between 74 and 76 mph.The grizzly maybe 63mph.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DiMa7

I wish I had known about that Rockingham show, I definitely would have gone. The utility ATV I plan on buying is the Grizzly 550 with power steering. I want to wait to April basically for one reason, I don't want to deal with ridiculous insurance rates. By April I'll just pay it off in full, and have it fully mine then and there. I would also buy this trailer http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn...15476-4X6XG&lpage=none at the same time as the ATV. Moose, on another note, have you ever heard of Beaver Lake? There are countless and countless amounts of trails around it. Definitely trails suitable for an ATV. If you know these trails, are those open to the public?</end quote></div>

Rockingham show still going on today.. until like 4 or 5 pm...

Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have to work, so unfortunately I can't make it. Steve do you know if another show like this will take place anytime in the next few months in NH?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Nope... sorry.. I was surprised to see this one to be honest... I can't make it either.. I just got back from a weeks vacation in Lake Tahoe / Yosemite... to tired to do much of anything...

Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

DiMa, I haven't heard of Beaver Lake. Is it in NH or MA? There should be some information about it out on the Web somewhere. PS I did drive the Yamaha Grizzly 550 with power steering. Nice unit. Easy to steer, nice power, good all around. Obviously I wasn't going through a water/mudhole up to my headlights, but it seemed like a very nice package. If Yamaha made a 2 seater version someday I might consider it. Also, on the Polaris front, I haven't had any real issues with either machine. Both have over 1000 miles and about 200 hours of tough mixed driving. They are good machines with the best on board storage, have good power and clearance, and probably the most comfortable ride. Don't avoid them based on a few comments here and there. The #1 brand of quads I see out on our trail system are Polaris' machines. They've hit a home run with there 2-up machines, and also with the RZR. I'd say about 50% of the quads I saw at a poker run (about 100ish altogether) were Polaris. The rest was a mix of everything else. The only guy I saw with a problem was a guy who had a 4 inch chunk of wood go up and under his machine which took out his throttle cable. (He saw a big moose and didn't look in time to see the log) I towed him 2 miles down the mountain with my Polaris X2 500 (which, oddly enough, is what he owned). This was up and down, through mudholes, over rocky ledges and trails. We both got down without a problem.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Moose, Beaver lake is in Derry NH. I guess I'm not really surprised you never heard of it, it's not really a popular place. I couldn't find anything on the web specifying about the trails. But I definitely agree with people that NH is mostly for utility. I am going to go with a utility ATV, just going to wait until spring to buy it. Do they have a lot of these "poker runs" in NH? Are they a bunch of people who know each other or just everyone that wants to go?

Quick Reply: New Hampshire atv- Sport or Utility?