Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Runs perfect on 1/2 choke

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs perfect on 1/2 choke

Just bought an 02 warrior that was sitting for 6 months. It won't idle without half choke but, it runs and idles perfect all day on half choke. It's 60 degrees today so I can't see it being the weather. Just installed new plug and air filter and neither helped.

I pulled the bowl off last night and removed the float, needle and both jets while spraying them all super clean with carb cleaner. Also pulled off the top of the carb and sprayed everything clean in there. Put it all back together and rode it this morning... still the same issue.

Any other ideas what this may be??

TIA

Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Could you see light through the ports on the jets? Sounds like there is still some junk in the jets. If you're still running the old fuel, you may want to replace it with some new. Also make sure the carb boot hasn't got a rip/tear in it. Another thing to think about is the elevation of where you bought it and what elevation do you live at? If it was jetted for the mountains and you live in a lower elevation you will need to rejet for your elevation.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I could see light through both jets. I siphoned out the old gas when I brought it home because how long it was sitting and filled it with fresh premium.

The guy lives a couple miles from me so, elevation shouldn't be a difference. It actually has the stock jets.

Is the torn boot the only other option? I'll have to try pulling that off and inspect it tomorrow.

What's the factory fuel screw setting? My book says 1 1/4 turns out but I also have read online up to 2 turns out.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:05 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Use a wire to clean jets and passages. How to clean a Carburator

Its a Mikuni Round slide but all carbs are done with the same method. Just spraying carb cleaner is sometimes not good enough to un clog a passage.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

if it wont idol, but with the choke on, your pilot jet is clogged. locate it and clean it up real well. then reset it to factory setting

good luck

Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cherokee99

if it wont idol, but with the choke on, your pilot jet is clogged. locate it and clean it up real well. then reset it to factory setting

good luck</end quote></div>

I'll pull it out again today... what are factory settings for a pilot jet? When I put the pilot jet back in, I simply screwed it back in tight... is there a specific way to install the pilot jet? My Yammaha manual simply said "install pilot jet" on the reassembly instructions.

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

then you are getting NO flow of air threw the carb. the mikuni's are air pilots, allowing air threw the carb to mix w fuel. try around 2 3/4 turns OUT. seat the pilot all the way in then back OUT 2 3/4 turns. if it runs with no choke on hten its your pilot.

if its not that then mabe your mixture jet got messed with.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

i sounds like it s not jetted right. i have 01 blaster and i hade the same problem. i m not sure how the carbs are on warriors but try changing the slow jet. it sounds like it s not getting enough gas. might be as simple as changing slow jets Good Luck!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'll pull it out again today... what are factory settings for a pilot jet? When I put the pilot jet back in, I simply screwed it back in tight... is there a specific way to install the pilot jet? My Yammaha manual simply said "install pilot jet" on the reassembly instructions. </end quote></div>
Are you talking about the jet itself or the needle screw?
If the jet, screw it in tight. If the screw, follow cherokee99 advice.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

Guys- thanks a ton for all of your input. I've only been on this forum for a couple weeks and it's amazing what I've been able to fix by simply asking questions here.

I pulled the pilot jet and cleaned it with a wire and carb cleaner and I did actually get a little bit of black dusty looking stuff come out. I also pulled the pilot screw and cleaned the screw and it's passage really good with a wire and carb cleaner. (Before pulling out the pilot screw, I checked it's existing setting and it was only 1-1/2 turns out)

I put it all back together and installed the pilot screw exactly 2 turns out and it runs great now! At 37 degrees out, I had it on full choke for a minute, dropped to 1/2 choke for a couple minutes and then went completely off choke... it stalled a few times until I adjusted the idle screw and it was idling perfect after 5 minutes with no choke.

Not sure if it was a dirty pilot jet, dirty pilot screw, the pilot screw only being 1-1/2 turns out or a combination of all these issues. But, it's running great now.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Quick Reply: Runs perfect on 1/2 choke