Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Grips

Thinking about putting heated Grips on my 07 Wolverine. Any tips? Do they really work well?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated Grips

I've been considering them for my sportsmans, too. If they are anything like snowmobiles they will be awesome. I was surprised just how hot they can get and how warm they keep your hands. I'm thinking they will be nice on snowy days while plowing snow. I would definitely consider some with different levels of heat, like low, medium, high. I did notice while snowmobiling that high gets really hot.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Heated Grips

Yes the heated grips do work well and as you say they do get very HOT on HI. I would reccomend getting the ones that do not come with grips but rather with the tape that you put on the bar then the grip over the top such as the one found in this link.
Rockymountainatv.com

Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default Heated Grips

Is there a reason you say get the ones like you suggest? I have seen those but I was thinking they might be harder to install under a set of grips.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Range Rover
Default Heated Grips

i dissagree with the dodge57hemi .... i have hear nothing good about them and they are of cheaper quality from what i hear..... i have the symtec dual zone on my wolverine and i love them...... there simple to put on just follow the directions very close.......i have had mine over a year and they work awesome evry time...... symtec or moose ...same company about 100 bucks.... trust me....all the guys i ride with here have the same set....all good remarks about them....

Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default Heated Grips

I've got the Symtec/ Moose dual zone on my Wolverine and love'em. Adjustable heat settings, independant heated throttle,easy to install, combined with my hand guards they are fantastic. Well worth the money, esp. if you do alot of winter riding, or even early spring mudding. Wire them up with a relay and be generous with the di-electric grease!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default Heated Grips

Deeprigggin can you give me a estimate of cost for a system like you have. I also have a wolverine and plan on adding heated grips.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Heated Grips

Hard to say, I did it 2yrs ago. About a hundred bucks for the grip kit from M.U.D. ( Moose Utilities Division), relay is around $8, same with the project box, both @ Radio Shack. No idea for the cost of wire, just some 16 gauge I had kicking around. Same goes for the wire loom I ran it in and the zip ties. I kinda went overboard, but it looks alot cleaner and professional, just a small black box by the battery with black wire loom coming in and out of it.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Range Rover
Default Heated Grips

i am curious why you feel you need a relay? what extra do you get from that? i do lots of winter riding and have had no need for the relay set up.... please do explain ! thanks

Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Default Heated Grips

you've got 3 choices, wire it directly from the battery, wire it directly to a positive wire in the chassis (hot ignition source), or use a relay.
Direct to the battery, you need to remember to shut it off manually everytime, or you'll learn that even a little 350cc engine sucks to start with the pull rope.
Direct to a hot chassis wire puts alot more current draw on that circuit. While 1 accessory may not be much extra draw, something like heated grips uses alot more juice than, say, a GPS power cord.... but put the GPS, grips, extra lighting, etc. onto the ignition wire you'll either go through fuses everytime you turn something on, melt or fry the circuit, or burn your quad down.
The relay will tie into the ignition source, but uses very little draw from it, your accessory will draw all of its power directly from the battery. A relay allows it to be operated off an ignition source, such as a positive wire from the key switch, without placing the load and current draw of the grips (or lights, or anything) on that circuit. The wire from the ignition, once 'hot' (key 'on'), causes the relay to complete the larger current drawing circuit from the battery to the accessory (grip).

Quick Reply: Heated Grips