Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I'm new to this

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new to this

So I have rode on the back of quads a million times, but I'm not any where close to being 4wheeler saavy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] My husband just bought a 04 Yamaha 660 for himself and yesterday picked up a 350 for me. Although he picks up everything he does quickly and knows way more than I do, we're both pretty much beginners. ANy tips or advice for me when learning how to ride? Any suggestions on what gear I need or should get?

Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm new to this

Take an atv safety course. They are offered locally most anywhere and are inexpensive. Buy a helmet for sure. You can never really be too safe, so go to your local motorcycle shop and buy all the safety attire you can afford. In my opinion, a helmet and tall boots are the most important. Glad to see more people getting into the sport. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do on this forum! And welcome to the forum!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Default I'm new to this

Don't sit on that thing without a helmet!!!!You have been warned!!But anyway enjoy your machine and if you need anything else about quads this is the best place to ask.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default I'm new to this

Definitely take the Atv safety course. You'll learn everything there from properly mounting the machine to hopping over log obstacles.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I'm new to this

I picked up a helmet last night...I am no daredevil I'd never get on it w/out one! I'll definitely look into a safety course. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default I'm new to this

Join an ATV club in your area if one exists. Not sure what state you live in. But, here in Maine ATV clubs always need more people, and with that comes more trails. Respect landowner permission, and stay on marked trails. The course will give you the basics, but the best way is to just get out there and ride.