Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The legalities of riding....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The legalities of riding....

I currently have no driver liscense due to 2 dui's and a lot of other crap. If I was to get pulled over for operating my Warrior with no registration or anything (on the road driving), what would happen. I live in the commonlaw of PA. If anyone know's law's or anything of that sort, please help me out. Or give me a website or something. Thanks, Mark

Old 12-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Don't know about PA. But, here in OK you can get a DUI or any other Driving infraction on any motor vehicle, including non-street legal ones.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

Yep you can get careless & reckless, DUI, speeding, - anything you can get on a car, you can get on an ATV on the road. The main laws you are breaking by riding on the road are: operating a vehicle with no tags, registration, insurance, and in your case, no operator's license. Usually in my case when I got caught they added a failure to stop for blue light & siren and careless & reckless to endanger the public. It would not be wise to ride your ATV on the road. If you get caught it will just prolong you getting your license back and will make your record even worse. The best thing you could do is to get a scooter and stop drinking when you drive.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Without a license getting a scooter won't help. Unless someone is driving it and your riding doubles, in which that is FAR from the best thing you can do. HAHA! : )

Old 12-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

some scooters dont require a license, i think if its a 50cc or you dont need a license.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I had to get a license. Oh...the other type scooter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I think the big question is, will you be drinking, and over the legal limit, on any of these types of transportation.

If so, even if it doesn't require a license, public intoxication is still charge they could use. And any vehicles could be impounded.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

If you have pissed enough people off by two DUI's and "a bunch of other crap" invest in a good set of shoes or in line skates because I don't care what you are "operating" a good police officer can come up with something with which to charge you if you are continuing in your old ways and maybe even if you are not. You would be far better of spending your time and effort in obeying the law rather than trying to find a way around it. If you need transportation for work, hire a good attorney as in some states you can get what is called a "hardship" license to use to go to and from work, doctors appointments and such. This may or may not require the installation of an ignition interlocking device.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

By scooter I mean the 50cc mopeds that will only run about 35 mph. Here in NC you can drive a scooter legally on the highway without a license. All the whinos have one. Not sure how the laws are in PA, I hear they are more strict than NC.

You could always get a scooter and put a YZ80 motor on it. Just don't get caught like my buddie's dad and get clocked by a Highway Patrolman doing 55 mph in a 45 mph zone on a scooter that was rated for not over 35 mph - and his blood alcohol level was .21 when the legal limit here is .08!