Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just bought a 2008 Raptor 700R... questions for Rappy 700 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2008 Raptor 700R... questions for Rappy 700 Owners

First off, It's GOOOOOD to climb aboard a Big Bore again. It's not as pristine looking at the 2004 TRX450 I purchased earlier this year but I plan to give it some TLC once I load it up and bring it to work this week.

Right off the bat I want to replace the air filter. I'm a fan of UNI filters. Anyone have one on thier Raptor? I plan to order on soon just want some input.

The guy said he'd mail me the owners manual, I didn't get it. I am assuming like any other quad it is recommended to get a block off plate. The lever up front to engage it is rather large.

Over a year ago when I was considering a 700 I was reading that there is 3 mods you can do to wake this beast up. I think it was a controller, exhaust and... something else (assuming air filter). As for exhausts I have seen a few dual exhausts out there. Looney Tunes and another. Part of my riding clan one guy has a 700 with Barker Exhausts. They look heavy and the ends of them quite crude.

Coming from a 660 I see much more improvements but they should put a zerk fitting where the swingarm pivots (Unless I did not notice one). I took her a better bath, and greased all the fittings. Took it for a quick spin (it was empty on fuel.. neat to have that little gauge to tell you your empty, when does it kick in to indicate fuel is low??) and plenty of power to spare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I haven't had any problems with my parking brake mechanism yet. I kind of like the parking brake lever on the 700 compared to the older models - seems to be a much better design. I guess I'll keep mine until it craps out.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Entomber

First off, It's GOOOOOD to climb aboard a Big Bore again. It's not as pristine looking at the 2004 TRX450 I purchased earlier this year but I plan to give it some TLC once I load it up and bring it to work this week.

Right off the bat I want to replace the air filter. I'm a fan of UNI filters. Anyone have one on thier Raptor? I plan to order on soon just want some input.

The guy said he'd mail me the owners manual, I didn't get it. I am assuming like any other quad it is recommended to get a block off plate. The lever up front to engage it is rather large.

Over a year ago when I was considering a 700 I was reading that there is 3 mods you can do to wake this beast up. I think it was a controller, exhaust and... something else (assuming air filter). As for exhausts I have seen a few dual exhausts out there. Looney Tunes and another. Part of my riding clan one guy has a 700 with Barker Exhausts. They look heavy and the ends of them quite crude.

Coming from a 660 I see much more improvements but they should put a zerk fitting where the swingarm pivots (Unless I did not notice one). I took her a better bath, and greased all the fittings. Took it for a quick spin (it was empty on fuel.. neat to have that little gauge to tell you your empty, when does it kick in to indicate fuel is low??) and plenty of power to spare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.</end quote></div>

Well to start out with, IMO you just pick up the best all around sport quads going! Now to answer some of your questions the Barkers are one of the best exhaust systems for the 700 avail if you want a single the one I like is called Motoworks I don't personally have one as the I like to keep the bike quiet for where I ride. I also feel that the bike has plenty of power for tight trail riding! Yes the 3 mod you speak of is a air filter, ecm commander and air filter. I use K&N and feel if you know how to use this system it is as good as any if not better, besides I use K&N on everything I own and have never had a problem. If you are going to look for a controller the PCIII is the only way to go!

If you want more specific info check out moddedraptor.com as the guys there have pretty much any answer you need!

I have enjoyed mine so much that it inspired me to buy my Grizz with esentually the same motor. Hope some of this helps and good luck with the bike!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Any notes on maintenance? Things to keep an eye out for?I love the front rezzies. I havent jumped it yet. Lower a-arms have the paint scuffed off.. prob powder coat it in the future.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I have not had to do any maintanaince yet as mine as it came with a 3 year vehicle manitnence warranty. Sounds as if whoever was riding it before never adjusted the suspension to the riders weight causing it to bottom out, this would be my first thing I would do if I was you to make the bike work best for you!

Knock on wood mine has been flawless no problems as of yet, as I said it by far has been my best bike with the Honda 250R comming in second!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

He rode to what appears thru a lot of fields. I see a lot of dried grass all over it. I guess brushing with it all caused the paint to wear. I would like to get an aftermarket oil tank that holds one more quart of oil. It still handles a little wierd, after coming off a 450, but power to spare. I would also like to get 23" front tires. Bigger fronts help with handling. It's also very sleek looking. EFI is awsome.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Allot of guys run 22 rears and 23 fronts but that is due more to ground clearance than to handling.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Bigger front tires has always improved handling for me. It also makes it a tad easier to wheelie it seems with a bigger front tire. How many quarts of oil does the Rappy take? What oil do you use? I was thinking of using synthetic.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've had a Raptor for about a year and a half now.

Did the 3-mod with the Barker Duals, Trinity air intake and the Power Commander III. Amazing difference in power with the 3-mod.

Holeshot Designs sells the 3-mod set-up with the Monster Exhausts and the Monster air intake. Real nice set-up.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

That Monster setup is sweet.. and pricing is very good compared to other brands out there. Thanks DuneMe.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2008 Raptor 700R... questions for Rappy 700 Owners