Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Winches for '09 Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winches for '09 Wolverine

I have a Viper 3500 with synthetic rope Mounted on a quadrax mount. I got the winch for about 200USD with rope / Handlebar switch / remote / cover / aluminum hause / rubber end saver and some other stuff.. it came with everything..

its a Tight fit , i would not go any bigger - and i have now used it twice while plowing and it seems to work great.. it will pull my bike right off the ground aswell.. to look at it and the old style warn there is no real difference.. and the rope is nicer.. no sharp metal cable..

Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the champion 3000lb winch mounted on my 08 wolverine. The mount that comes supplied with the winch will not work on the wolverine. I got the moose mount which is application specific. Installation was a breeze just removing the front bumper and bolting the plate and then the winch. The only gripe i have with the winch is the size of the control box. I mounted it on an angle on the handlebars and ran the wires along the steering stem and then followed already existing cables back to the batter compartment, covered the wires in wirewrap, and it was a done deal. The moose adapter comes with a top/bottom/left/right fairlead so you can just omit the ones that came with the champion totally. I have had no problems with this product and imho works just as well as the Warn and Viper line. I attached the winch for 2 reasons. 1 to pull myself and others out of problems on the trails, and to get ready to mount my Swisher Plow System. I think in total I paid a little over 195 bucks for the whole winch set-up and maybe 2.00 for the wireties and loom.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 AM
ross.graziano

I BOUGHT THE 2500LB VENOM WHICH IS THE SAME THING AND IT WORKS GREAT

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ledawg

Anyone ever had one of these winches.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...Q5fPartsQ5fAccessories</end quote></div>

Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a Champion winch from Tractor supply as well. I got the 2k winch. I paid 69.99 for the winch. And, then I got the year warranty for 14.99. so, out the door for about 90.00. The winch already comes with a year warranty. And the warranty I bought goes a year beyond that.

I also bought the swisher plow set-up. I takes a little time to set it all up. But, it seems to look ok.

I ran into a little issue though before I could try it out. I bought a winch mount from CMP Cambridge Metals and Plastics. It mounts the winch up perfectly. However, when I hooked the cable up to the plow, the cable was rubbing on the bottom of mount. I'm thinking of flipping the winch upside down. And that should get me the angle I need. I wish had I pictures. I''ll try to post some tonight.

Has anyone else used the mount from CMP? I liked it because it bolts right to the frame. But, the angle of the cable from the spool through the fairlead and to the plow does not sit well with me.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

I have been doing alot research on winches. They seem to all be the same. And I mean right down to the manual. You look at the manual from the mfg. websites and they are all the same. I suspect all these winches are made in china and they just slap a different sticker on it. Call it their own.

Metalfred are you puttin this plow on a wolverine. I would love to see pics. I was thinking about putting plow on mine wolvy.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the plow on now. But, I still have to get the winch cable configuration figured out. After work today, I'm going home to work on it again. I can't wait to get out of here to go work on it!

I have some pictures at home. I'll try to post them sometime this week. With Christmas coming up, I have some family crap to do too.

And, yes, my winch was in made in China too. I would agree with your statement that all the winches except for the REALLY expensive ones are made in China.

My plow from Tractor supply does have MADE in USA stickers all over it. It is heavy duty. It's really well built. We'll see how well it stands up over time.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Gorilla 2500 on my '07 SE. I used the Gorilla mounting plate too. it barely fit. Very solid mount, but i had to trim the lower fins off the 3-tier plastic baffle in front of the radiator. Seems to work OK, I don't think it could pull 2500 lbs though. My buddy buried his '02 wolvy in some thick pudding mud, and the winch drug me to him, and when I tied off to something it just gave up, i didn't have the ****** block with me to double the pulling. For $120 I can't complain.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I looked around for a while too and found a place last week in Florida, MosquitoCreek.com that is clearing out their ci model warns. They are new and CHEAP. I bough two, a 1500lb for my 06 Wolvie and a 2500lb for my dad's 02 Rubicon. I paid $100 for the 1.5 and $140 for the 2.5. I had an issue too when I opened mine and their customer service overnighted me the broke part. Highly recommended. Much of their atv gear is 1/2 off b/c they're going to stop carry that eqip. I'll be testing the new winch at Tellico Saturday!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I now have pictures up in my profile of my set-up. It took a long time to set it all up, but I'm happy with the results. I'm not very happy about my bumper not being able to go back on without modification. I need to either move the winch up about 1/2". Or make some brackets for it.

1. Swisher univeral ATV mount
2. Swisher plow
3. Champion 2,000lb winch.
4. Cambridge Metals and Plastics Winch mount

Take a look at the pix. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Oh yeah, I put 100lb.s of salt in the box on the rack too for weight.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just plowed about 4 inches of snow. No problems and a lot of fun!