Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2008 Big Pile of junk I mean Bear

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:44 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2008 Big Pile of junk I mean Bear

Purchesed brand new in march 2008 Big Bear Irs. Rode 3 times took in for oil change after 17 hours on it. Dealer calls and says more metal in oil than oil will have to pull the motor at dealership. 2months later 2 angry phone calls to yahama got them to pay my payments about 200 dollars. got my 4 wheeler in september put in garage. started it couple times rode up the street keep everything lubed.First snow today 5 inches came home started up warmed up 10 minutes off to have fun after 25 minutes of riding exhaust was glowing candy apple red at the motor, turned around to go home. Didnt make it had to walk home get honda recon to pull it the rest of the way home. called yamaha gave them 2 options buy it back or give me a brand new 08 or 09. when I here back I will leave update

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

Man that sucks! Good luck with Yamaha.

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

From the story your saying they should take care of you..

Old 12-17-2008 | 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

every manufacturer has its lemons. sounds like you got one of those.

Old 12-17-2008 | 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I feel for you on what you going through, I would tell your dealer to get yamaha to put in a whole motor as they do have them there at the warehouses. They cann't just order one they have to call in to get one. I would be interested to know what they had replaced the first time when they torn down your motor.

Far as the glowing exhasut sounds like a dirty carb, or something wrong with the timing.

I am a silver ceritfied yamaha tech, pm me if you live in Minnesota would like to help you if we can.

Old 12-19-2008 | 06:56 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

First time supposible the replaced all interal parts execpt block about 8 pages of parts put it back together and spun a bearing first time out. got it back together again ran this time now when I go from reverse to 1st gear half the time I go ten feet and it disengages itself. As far as a replacement motor 5 calls to yamaha no they dont do that I wanted a brand new motor sent to the shop and installed yamaha said they have never down that. New excuss when they set carb it was 80 degress now its 25. Brought up point 00 & 04 honda recon rode year round never have to adjust carbs for season

Old 12-19-2008 | 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

File a complaint with the BBB. It may not do any good but it can't hurt. Also, look into the lemonlaws for Illinois. Search it on Google. Consider filing in small claims court. The monetary limit is usually around $5000 but this does vary by state so you will need to see what the limit is in IL. Typically, businesses are required to appear by counsel. That costs them money. It only cost you $50 to file. You don't really need an attorney. Just go in and explain it all to the judge. Small claims tends to be very consumer oriented. Based upon what you are telling us, the sequence of events, I can't imagine you losing. Find out how much difference they want if you trade yours in on an 09 and then that is what you ask for damages when you go to court. I have spent 25 years handling commercial insurance claims. Whenever one of our commercial clients goes to small claims court, they usually get slammed. In the end if you have noting else to lose then you might as well give it a shot. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2008 | 10:34 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the advice I'm hoping it doesnt come to that but it may.

Old 12-21-2008 | 10:35 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

talked with yamaha customer service rep again will not ship new motor. thank you for any help you can give me,

Old 12-22-2008 | 04:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Man oh man I really feel for you brother . Is this how Yamaha treats it's customers . ? We love our 2008 big bear and it has not had any issues but if this is the kind of support your getting from Yamaha then we may change brands for the wife's bike . This is not good Yamaha .

TD

Quick Reply: 2008 Big Pile of junk I mean Bear