Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can anyone help me with a simple part ID question on a 2003 Kodiak 450? Something is missing: a cap. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me with a simple part ID question on a 2003 Kodiak 450? Something is missing: a cap. Help?

Any ideas from people familiar w/ working on their quads...? I think a part is missing--a cap--what is it?

When I am standing in front of the quad with the rack off looking at the radiator, the radiator cap is on the right. The only other thing in this area is on the left back side of the front is access to another -------? What is it? The cap is missing, and it feeds to a tube that goes down to the engine. Whatever fluid is supposed to be there, isw not there, and I don't know what to put in there.

Does anyone know the answer to this off the top of their head? I'd love to find out, so I can buy the fluid that is supposed to be in there and buy a replacement plastic cap to keep it in (rather than having to pay a mechanic full price to tell me what kind of cap/fluid is missing).

I have downloaded the manual, but am not familiar with mecanics and can't really make sense of it.

I opened the quad up initially because the radiator fan ceased working, then after that the water light started coming on, then I discovered that the radiator was half empty. This was way I opened the front end up myself--before that I'd relied on professionals--and when I opened it up I discovered the missing cap/fluid.

Thank you inadvance forany ideas. We live extrememly rurally, and it would be great to become more self-sufficient with maintaining this quad rather than needing to haul it alllll the way to town.

Thanks!

Todd

Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Can anyone help me with a simple part ID question on a 2003 Kodiak 450? Something is missing: a cap. Help?

If its a small container I would guess that is the rear brake fluid res. At least that is where mine is.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

I don't have a kodiak but im assumuming that you are probably talking about your coolant resovoir. If so there should be a hose that goes from the container to your radiator. If you have a manual try looking in the cooling section for more details. If you do'nt think that it is the resovoir maybe take a picture and im sure somebody can help you out!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your replies! Hey--I took a picture in case that would help--do you know if there's a way to post pics in this forum (new here)--thanks!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

goto http://www.bikebandit.com/ and use their OEM charts. They have full Schematics on everything. very cool site to cross reference parts too.