Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Transmission problems with Raptor???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spoke to the best dealer in my area. They said that alot of the Raptors they sold are having that problem, of hitting nuetral. Of course, I got the cocky little punk that won't tell you anything. He wouldn't tell me what they are doing to fix it but, it sounded like it wasn't anything serious. My appt is for 2/14 for this problem and to have my valves adjusted.

I let you all know what they did next week and post it.

Old 02-07-2001, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

My machine is only 3 weeks old, less than 8hrs
on the bike total. When the bike is warmed up and running, there seems to be clutch chatter. You pull the clutch in and the noise quiets about 1/2
but is still there!!! Also... when riding the bike down the road and letting off the gas, say in 3rd gear, you can hear a certain amount of gear meshing noise???... or a cam chain type noise???... or just a rattling/winding type noise.
I've asked at local dealer and was told " Your not use to YAMAHA motor noise.....???? Does all of your guys raptors rattle!!! Just curious.. because neither my 400EX nor my 250R make noises quite like this raptor, and both of them have extinsive mods.

Does something need to be checked/adjusted
or fixed before other mods are done! ????

Old 02-07-2001, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Scottd, mine is curently at the dealer getting a new transmision because it got stuck in between 1st and 2nd gear while the clutch was fading,witch is a prolem that yamaha needs to look into also!! Thought I might be the only one with this problem!!

Old 02-07-2001, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

2stroke
Did you notice any excessive noise in your machine before your tranny took its crap??
And how was yours acting before it jammed??

Old 02-07-2001, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

YaMaRaPtoR, I can see this clutch action you speak of when the machine is cold but what about when it has been rode for a while and is thourghly warmed up?

Old 02-08-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

I think alot of noise comes off the chain rubbing on the plastic skid plate.

Old 02-08-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

The Engine design is A dry sump type meaning its clutch is not getting oiled without the oil pumping in from the reservoir and the motor running. the oil has to bathe the clutches for them to start working. So if it sets long enough for the oil to drip off whether hot or not it will not move when the clutch is pulled. As for the false neutrals, they are common on yamaha shifter linked quads, such as the Warrior. It is due to the shift linkage adjustment and having a shift linkage. you may have to readjust it but I think you have to take the footrest off also to do it. If it just had the shifter directly to the shaft like the banshee it probably wouldnt happen.

Old 02-08-2001, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Chalk up another one for "Knobby" and his wonderful design crew. I am so glad my dealer failed in his attempt to sucker me into the hottest lemon in ATV history. It should have been yellow instead of the 400ex.

Old 02-09-2001, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your very informative post, Hakmazter. Why is it that the only posts that you submit turn into bash sessions? We're all glad you didn't buy a Raptor...run along now and enjoy your slow 400EX. If you don't have anything meaningful and useful to say pertaining to a particular topic, please don't waste our time with your sarcastic comments. Not too many of us out there have any "regrets" for buying a Raptor. Do have a nice day.

Old 02-09-2001, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Amen!This is technical advice,no quad bashing please!I appreciate everybodys input to the topic at hand,lets keep it that way.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems with Raptor???