Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz450 motor help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 motor help

my buddie was driving my yfz450 when he said he heard it start making a bad metalic scraping noise then it seized up and it blew oil out of a hole in the front right top part of the motor i went and picked it up when i got it home it wuoldnt even turn over.The next day iput some oil in it put it in 5th gear and pushed it backwards and finally got it unseized try starting up and it fired rirght up it ran for about 5-10 secs iheard i aloud "ting" noise and it seized again so i took apart the motor and found that the rings were scraping on one side and that it looked like the piston rod had bottomed out on the crank i have not taken the crank out yet the hole bottom end is still toghther i was wondering if ne one knows what i should do i think im probally going to have replace alot to get running again

Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 motor help

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: THE.BIG.DUDE-13F

my buddie was driving my yfz450 when he said he heard it start making a bad metalic scraping noise then it seized up and it blew oil out of a hole in the front right top part of the motor ...</end quote></div>

'04 or '05 yfz huh? It's a plug to cap off the decompression lever that goes on the yz450f. They were crappy plastic and could break. Mine did. Luckily I noticed it immediately before damages such as that was done. They make a metal replacement. It's cheap and easy to install. It is a must.

If it blew it will squirt out all your oil so basically it was driven with no oil for no telling how long. That is probably what did the damage. So, your going to have to rebuild.