Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha moto electrical

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha moto electrical

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I am new to atvs. I just bought an 89 250 moto 4. It was running when I bought it,and rode it once since it has been home. Went to ride again and it wouldn't start. I checked fuel and had plenty.Ichecked for spark, and had none. So I took the handlebars off,removed the plastics on the front and examined everything. I taped worn wires, pulled the coil and tested the resistance between ground and hot at the spark plug end. Had 6560 ohms of resitance(another post on another site said it should be 10-11K). I cleaned the terminals at the ground on the coil, put it back together, and got spark for two pulls, then nothing. What do I do next? Please help!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Same problem here... so I am bumping this thread too. Looking for advice, but the problem is the weather.... IT IS NICE out so only us suckers with broken machines are at the computer!!

Leroy

Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mcdonl
Same problem here... so I am bumping this thread too. Looking for advice, but the problem is the weather.... IT IS NICE out so only us suckers with broken machines are at the computer!!

Leroy
Leroy,.... Have you tried push starting yet?

When my Moto-4 wouldn't start with the starter, I could push it about 3 feet with a rider on it, and it would start every time. Did the same stuff you've been doing (reading all the bumps and such) and even adjusted the valves and cleaned the carb, and all the other stuff. The only thing that would start it was a Push. Me,... no truck,... no other 4 wheeler,... just a fat bald guy sticking my foot in the dirt and pushing with my hands.

What's hard to figure is that I finally broke down and bought a battery for it and now it cranks easily every time. I can't figure out anything else I may have done either. Try a Jump,... and a push start..... maybe one will give you a running Moto-4 for the fun day tomorrow. Hopefully something will strike a note with one of us mechanic types, and we'll figure it out with you. (By the way,... a lot of these Moto-4's that won't run,... sound like they have bad stators,.... but I haven't seen a bad one yet myself)

Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok everyone... stand up and point and laugh... I opened the gas can and realized I was below the reserve intake on the fuel ****... added gas, new plug and fired right up.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mcdonl
Ok everyone... stand up and point and laugh... I opened the gas can and realized I was below the reserve intake on the fuel ****... added gas, new plug and fired right up.
DOH!

I was riding with some friends recently and one of them had theirs die and couldn't restart..... SAme thing. Outta gas.

It happens man. It's probably the last thing I check too. But I always check the fuel before going for a ride, so rarely do I have a loss of mind on that while riding.

Glad you got 'er going. That's what's important. Now go ride a little before you run outta gas again.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I didnt get a chance to hit the trails, but I did drag about 10 trees and 10 yards of shrubs/scrub oaks to the backside of my property... hard work is not as hard when you get to involve an ATV!!

Thanks guys,

Leroy