Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

09 grizzly 700 exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 grizzly 700 exhaust noise

I just bought a 09 grizzly 700 less than a month ago. I have been having exhaust problems. The first time it was in the shop they had made sure all the fastners were tight and adjusted the heat shield and that did not work. The second time they replaced the whole exhaust system and canister and the rattling nosie was still there. Now they want to replace the exhaust gasket with an 08 part. Is that really the problem or does this have nothing to do with the exhaust. When you hold the heat shield the noise seems to dimminish. I know the grizzly 700 has a big motor and is going to make some noise but this noise is embarrassing. Does anyone have the same problem or any answers or suggestions?

Thank You

Old 02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Mine has been flawless! I think you have a fluke issue therefore I would take it to a diff dealer for a second opinion if not write or call Yamaha for advice on what to do next!

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the reply. I have contact another dealer and Yamaha. The dealer I bought it from has been working with me and they have my machine right now hopefully the third time is a charm. They want to keep it for a couple days. They said they wanted to try the 08 exhaust gasket and if that does not work they are out of ideas. If any more ideas please reply.

Thank you
morrisatv

Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry you are having problems, that bites. I would not accept anything less than a perfect quad. You chose this model over the rest now make them provide you with what you bought. I have had 0 problems with mine and am satisfied with my choice. I have had experience with Yamaha on making things right and they will. I am not talking about the dealer, they have limited ability to make things right for you and the next level may be what you need to be satisfied. I had problems with both of the Wave runners that I bought and the Yamaha rep made the problems right. They were even willing to totaly replace both units if that is what it took to fix the problem. Don't settle for less. Times are tough and they cannot afford to have any bad press. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Cody700,
I just got my machine back with the third new canister and the rattling noise is still there. The dealer that I bought the machine from told me they are out of suggestions and want to wipe there hand clean. I do believe it is the heat shield it only happens when the machine is warmed up it sound like chipping and rattling, all the fastners are tight and still the same problem with only 8 hours of running time and 9 miles. Iam going to another dealer next week and see what they say. Yamaha is aware of this problem they told me to keep them posted. This has been such a headache I have only owned it for 1 month and 3 visit to the dealer, When does the lemon law kick in? I also own a 05 grizzly 660 and have never had a problem it is flawless. If anyone knows a good Yamaha represenative please let me know.

Thank You,
morrisatv

Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Go to the Yamaha web site and search for email addresses, phone numbers etc and start bombing them with email and calls. I know it is a pain in the rear but a necessary one if you want them to eat it and give you a new one. that is exactly what I would do. They were on the verge of giving me 2 new GP 1200 wave runners if the final repair that they made did not cure the problem. I know we are comparing wave runners to quads but it is still Yamaha, and they truly are committed to quality and satisfying customers. Good luck

Old 02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: morrisatv

Thanks Cody700,

I just got my machine back with the third new canister and the rattling noise is still there. The dealer that I bought the machine from told me they are out of suggestions and want to wipe there hand clean. I do believe it is the heat shield it only happens when the machine is warmed up it sound like chipping and rattling, all the fastners are tight and still the same problem with only 8 hours of running time and 9 miles. Iam going to another dealer next week and see what they say. Yamaha is aware of this problem they told me to keep them posted. This has been such a headache I have only owned it for 1 month and 3 visit to the dealer, When does the lemon law kick in? I also own a 05 grizzly 660 and have never had a problem it is flawless. If anyone knows a good Yamaha represenative please let me know.

Thank You,

morrisatv</end quote></div>

That sucks man I am up to 200Mi on mine and couldent be happier. Pleas keep us informed on what is happening. If all else I am sure Yamaha will make it right!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You to all who have replyed to my email. The problem is now solved with my second brand new grizzly 700 in the last month. I believe the mechanic was tired of me and decided the only way to get rid of me was to get me a new machine. They never told me what the problem was they just continued to say all grizzly 700 will make some noise. I believe they could not solve the problem or they would have not givin me a new machine. The mechanic is part owner of the dealership and he had been in contact with Yamaha several times. He thought it would be easier to give me a new machine then to go down a endless road. Basically he gave up! So now the fun begins with no rattling of the heat shield and canister.

Thanks guys my wife appreciates all your help because this is her machine 09grizzly 700 camo and I get to ride my 05grizzly 660 camo. She was the straw that broke the camels back when she showed up at the dealership.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

That is great! I am glad that you got what you paid for finally. I am sure you will be happy with it, or should I say that your wife will be happy? lol

Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

That is good to hear! This is also a sign of a good dealer that wants and knows it needs to take care of it costoumers, something you dont see much. Good luck with the new machine!