Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly oil change

Service is due on my grizzly and I was reading in the owners manual that I can use regular SAE 10W-30 motor oil. Has anyone done this and is it safe? Just trying to get away from using the high priced yamalube.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

yamaha's oil is safe for the clutch you have. You can also use motorcylce oil but I would not recommend using conventional motor oil.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Skimping out on oil is one of the last things you want to do. Not price wise but quality wise. Run a high quality fully synthetic wet clutch compatible oil. Any oil that says "wet clutch compatible" or "contains no friction modifiers" will work.

I run 0w40 amsoil you should look into it. Its expensive but i havnt changed the tranny fluid in my banshee in 3 years and its the same color as when I put it in.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Range Rover

yamaha lube all the way ,i got belt drive

6 bucks a qt i change it every 12.5 hrs of use, no the 25 hr yes costly but worth it,

Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: muddyweekends

6 bucks a qt i change it every 12.5 hrs of use, no the 25 hr yes costly but worth it,</end quote></div>

No offense intended but I feel that is a complete waste to change your oil that often. Its gunna end up costing more for oil than it would for a new engine if you didnt change your oil at all.

For me that would be changing my oil after every weekend of riding. Just wasting perfectly good oil.

Throw some amsoil in it and change it every couple years or when it gets contaminated.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

I'm in the same boat with my Grizzly and I am going to run the Valvoline ATV oil that costs 3.99 per quart. I just left NAPA with the oil to do it. I have been running Valvoline since the 70's and I have never had an oil related problem. I will change my oil when the oil begins to discolor and not until then. I am not about to drain perfectly good oil out of my quad. I have watched friends drain clear oil out of their crankcase and to me that is ridiculous. None of my business but that is senseless. If you keep your air filter clean, and do not take water/contaminates into the crankcase then you shouldn't have to worry about having any dirt in the oil. If you are draining metal filings out of your crankcase then you have other issues.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cody700

I'm in the same boat with my Grizzly and I am going to run the Valvoline ATV oil that costs 3.99 per quart. I just left NAPA with the oil to do it. I have been running Valvoline since the 70's and I have never had an oil related problem. I will change my oil when the oil begins to discolor and not until then. I am not about to drain perfectly good oil out of my quad. I have watched friends drain clear oil out of their crankcase and to me that is ridiculous. None of my business but that is senseless. If you keep your air filter clean, and do not take water/contaminates into the crankcase then you shouldn't have to worry about having any dirt in the oil. If you are draining metal filings out of your crankcase then you have other issues.</end quote></div>

Sounds like you know what your doin. Keep doing it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JLsparky7

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: muddyweekends

6 bucks a qt i change it every 12.5 hrs of use, no the 25 hr yes costly but worth it,</end quote></div>

No offense intended but I feel that is a complete waste to change your oil that often. Its gunna end up costing more for oil than it would for a new engine if you didnt change your oil at all.

For me that would be changing my oil after every weekend of riding. Just wasting perfectly good oil.

Throw some amsoil in it and change it every couple years or when it gets contaminated.</end quote></div>

sorry money is not a problem, with oil changes,

Old 03-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

i run the yamaha lube and change the oil every 300 miles .