Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A Few Question About Grizzly, Kodiak & Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Question About Grizzly, Kodiak & Warrior

Hello everyone, We just got back from the Dune (Little Sahara) and mom/dad found out there ATV don't have enough power. Dad can make it up all the hill barely (05 Grizzly 660 Stock) and with me on moms fourwheeler going full speed i could barley make it up the biggest hill going about 2 mph by the time i hit the top with full throttle lol. I have a highly modified 450R so i was doing wheelies up the hill.

So i need help on picking what aftermarket parts/mods i need to do. We already know from taking to the people at HMF that we will be getting the SWAMP Series exhaust, HotCams Mudbuster, and putting the Kodiak 450 Rollers in the clutch. What else could we buy to get more torque? and after all that do we need to put a stiffer spring in the clutch so the belt doesn't slip? if so where can you buy just the spring and we have stock size tire (ITP Terracross on the Grizzly and Kodiak).

Now for the 01 Kodiak 400, I couldn't find anything other then pipes with 99db and louder and i used that fourwheeler for hunting so that wouldn't work. I found a clutch kit but we need more power not just more take off, being the quad only has 21HP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].

Last question, I'm looking to get a quad for my girlfriend, she has very little experience but enough she knows how to use a clutch and the guy down the road has a Yamaha Warrior for $200! I was wondering if that would be a good trail quad or is it real fast? It doesn't run (he said it did last summer) but that because the tank is half full of water so it would be a easy fix if i got it .

Any help would be very appreciated

Old 03-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

There are tons of mods for that Warrior, and in stock form they are nearly bulletproof. I think for the money you can't beat a Warrior.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

That warrior is a steal!!!!! Go buy it right now!!!!!

As for the mods, you could do a high compression piston that would help quite a bit. then you have to urn preium fuel though.

Ditch the kodiak and get something else. Not many mods for it.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for that fast responses.

JLsparky about the kodiak, ya that's what me and dad were talking about yesterday(getting a new one). It doesn't have IRS and only 21HP wow it sucks lol. i don't know if Yamaha make a 500 but that would be perfect if it still weighed around 500 pounds.
About the warrior i just called the guy and he will be home tonight so i will get it then. thanks again for the help.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Np, post some pics!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

200$ bucks...wow no questions ask buy that lol, i got mine for $500 and it was all together but was just shot, ran like crap and was pretty rough looking also but was still worth it after i fixed it all up.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey again i got the warrior and got it running last night! but it runs like a pile of dog crap! all i did was pulled the carb drain screw and emptied gas tank. i will clean the carb today i think that should fix it.

Here's a picture i took with my photo
Name:  thequad.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  48.1 KB

i have another question about my Grizzly and Kodiak what kind of carb's are tough's? Which main jet is the right one? Here's a full list of Mikuni jets... http://shopcheapcycleparts.com...z~r=~&source=searchbar