Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ramps - buy or build?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ramps - buy or build?

I wouldn't even think twice about buying aluminum ramps. They are worth every penny. I look at it this way, spend the money up front for the aluminum ramps and a few years go by, you don't need them (sold the atv or whatever), then sell them for close to what you paid for them. The wooden ones would likely have been replaced once already from rotting and are worthless. Easy decision for me. Besides, seen way too many close calls with the homemade ramps! Not worth a doctor bill and time off work!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest a good set of aluminum ramps. I borrowed some from a buddy of mine. The kind that just open up like a book, and then i rachet straped it to my chain hooks in my trailer hitch. So it wouldnt move or fall off, but its almost like my truck is too tall in the rear. The angle of the ramp was really bad and hard to get it in the truck. I just didnt feel safe and didnt know if there were any good long ones out there that would be more of a gradual climb.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

Something like this is ideal.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn...318-7452700&lpage=none

Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

I got mine from the local polaris dealer. They are aluminum, folding, arched and about 7 or 8 ft long. They cost about $150. Not sure where to find them online.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

These are the ones I have for use in the back of the truck and they work GREAT!
http://discountramps.com/atv-loading-ramps.htm

Old 03-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Even with my aluminum ramps on my 4x2 F150 the ramp is still at a fairly steep angle. When I had my 02 Warrior I dumped it off the back twice because of stupidity and both times wound up with the quad on top of me. I was in too big of a hurry to adjust the cables that secure the ramp to the truck and the ramps slid out from under me. Fortunately for me I didn't get hurt either time, but I will not do it again I guarantee you that. If I were you I would spring for the extended length ramps to compensate for the additional height of your truck. It's better safe than sorry.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

These are the ones I have for use in the back of the truck and they work GREAT!

http://discountramps.com/atv-loading-ramps.htm</end quote></div>

Same ones I have.....apparently I paid too much! LOL! Doesn't surprise me! Probly why they are backordered there.......

Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cody700

Even with my aluminum ramps on my 4x2 F150 the ramp is still at a fairly steep angle. When I had my 02 Warrior I dumped it off the back twice because of stupidity and both times wound up with the quad on top of me. I was in too big of a hurry to adjust the cables that secure the ramp to the truck and the ramps slid out from under me. Fortunately for me I didn't get hurt either time, <u>but I will not do it again I guarantee you that.</u> If I were you I would spring for the extended length ramps to compensate for the additional height of your truck. It's better safe than sorry.</end quote></div>

LMAO! I would still try it again and again....it's more exciting that way! Think of it as a challenge! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

I went to the local steel supply store and had them make me a pair of 7' alum. ramps.
They charged me $185.00. They aren't arched but are built very well!
The ATV shops were asking $200 - $320 for a set. so I told them I could have them built for less, (thinking they would lower their price) and they didn't want to budge even a little on the price!
All I'm saying is that you don't have to play the dealers game![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Name:  DSC00005-1.jpg
Views: 7410
Size:  85.1 KB

Well that picture just put a quick end to the "buy or build" ramps decision. LOL

PS Get a box liner in that truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ramps - buy or build?