Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Only People who know their ATV"S please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only People who know their ATV"S please.

I have a 98 350 Warrior. It use to run/fire up great until one day just trail riding it **** the bed. Just died. Ive completely disassembled the carb and cleaned it, put a new starter, Battery, Plug and now it will run but I'm still having problems fireing it up. When I hit the button sometimes it will fire right up but most of the time it seems like its flooding way to fast and it will just crank until the battery dies. But if I jump it off a car it seems to turn it over quicker and it fires up faster. When its running it runs great. Now my diagnoses is deffinately carb. Something is making it flood (float adjustment, or needle) real quick which inturn is drowning it out but when its being jumped off a car its turning it over quicker which isnt alowing it the time to flood. Does this sound feasible? I'd deffinately appreciate the feedback. I've checked compression, electrical and everything else. Somebody please help me.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Only People who know their ATV

Sounds like your starter or starter one way clutch is going bad, causing your engine to turn over too slow. If the engine makes a lot of clunking noise while starting, the one way clutch is bad. If it just spins slow, then the starter could be going bad. I doubt it has anything to do with the carb. Also check the voltage while starting and make sure it does not drop too low, which could be a bad battery/loose connection.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

It turns over normal. No clunking or any weird noise. Voltage was checked and everything checked out fine. I've replaced the starter with a new one and tired other ones out too so I know thats not the problem. But it spins fine and to only reason I think it has something to do with the carb is that it floods real fast. Within 10 seconds you can smell gas real bad. Anyone else with any ideas let me know.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

If it was running fine one second and then not running the next, it's probably not the carb. An engine only needs three things to run. Fuel, spark and air. It sounds to me like you're having an electrical problem. Have you checked the stator and/or cdi (or whatever provides the spark on your bike).

Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

You probably got a bad new battery. Whats the voltage reading? Should be 13volts or a bit higher. Any lower and its a bad battery.

If it starts fine when hooked up to a car (I hope you know to not start the car) then the battery is the problem.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

A good battery reads at 12.6v and mine is reading at 12.6v. I work at a shop and I know the correct voltage of a battery. My battery is fine. I've tired about 4 different batteries out on my warrior. I've tired a different cdi, numerous plugs, and I have a new starter on it also. So none of that is the problem. And hooking it up to a car does not do anything to a battery.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Wookie11
A good battery reads at 12.6v and mine is reading at 12.6v. I work at a shop and I know the correct voltage of a battery. My battery is fine. I've tired about 4 different batteries out on my warrior. I've tired a different cdi, numerous plugs, and I have a new starter on it also. So none of that is the problem. And hooking it up to a car does not do anything to a battery.
So its either a carb problem or an electrical problem. Since you think 12.6v is correct then we will move on to the carb. Have you adjusted the idle jet? It should be about 2 turns out. Also have you cleaned the choke? When you try to start it are you hitting the throttle at all?