Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolvy450+epi +

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wolvy450+epi +

Well i called epi and asked about there clutch and told them what i have as far as aftermarket parts.Its all good except the hauck clutch work,the person i spoke to said .There`s an equal chance of working well with it ,as there is working against it. By allowing the rollers to travel further it acts like an "overdrive".I`m still not to clear on the explanation so if some has a better one i`d like to hear it.Thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm curious about this too. From what I understand the machined sheave allows the weights to slide out further under centripetal force, thus expanding the v-drive and making the overall diameter of the drive gear bigger, like shifting to the big gear on the crank on a mountain bike.....however the EPI kit comes with the stronger spring for the transmission side of the belt drive, which makes it harder for the gear ratio to change from low to high, so its like running out a lower gear longer, and gives you better torque......if the Large EPI spring is too stiff, it won't allow the transmission gear to expand far enough and "shrink" the diameter of the trans gear far enough to allow the drive gear to expand as far as it normally would with the machined sheave.......I think either way the EPI kit will give you the better torque, and more low end that it promisses.....it just may eliminate the extra top end that the Hawk sheave gave you........

Just thinking out loud, I'm no expert.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'm think about the EPI kit for my 450 Wolvie too.....just want to pull wheelies with the winch out front and my big ol A on it.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Range Rover

I have both on mine and they work great together.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default wolvy450 epi

How much top end did you lose and how did it affect your bottom,can you easily pull a wheelie ?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Range Rover
Thumbs up

It won't wheelie well (I live and ride over 5000 ft.) but it has great low end grunt and goes 62mph (confirmed on my gps).