Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A few questions about older Wolverine 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about older Wolverine 350

I was recently given a 2003 wolverine 350 for my birthday (21st!!) and while I love my 06 Kodiak 450, there is something about the wolverine that makes it much more fun to ride so I've decided to "upgrade" it. The only problem I see is that I do alot of mudcrawling and the 350 seems to be slightly underpowered. I've already gotten a new Superwinch (2300lb), moose winch mount, and some Executioner tires, but I still need to get some upgrades as far as power goes and I need help. I have a list of the modifications that I wanted to put into the wolverine, but if anyone knows of something better or if something is useless go ahead and chime in.

First off, I know about the 424 kit,but I don't need it. I'm in 4-wheel drive 90% of the time anyway on my kodiak and maneuverability hasn't been an issue yet. I was looking at the 446cc stroker kit from FST, but wondering if the drive train can be trusted after that. At the same time I was going to install a dynojet kit, K&N filter, and an exhaust system. Can anyone reccomend a good system? I was going to get the DG system because of was a complete system, but last minute I saw some posts claiming they were junk. I was thinking that I would need a better head pipe if I do the 446 stroker kit and I haven't found one. Other than that I was torn between the FMF pipe and the HMF pipe. Any personal experiences with these, anyone? Thanks for the help. -Rich

Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

446 kits makes the 350s engine haul a$$ pretty good but its pricey and cuts your durability back alot and also its recomended to install an oil cooler honestly if it were me i would get a JE 366 kit, HMF slip-on, K&N kit with filter, outerwear and bracket for direct fit, if you want a header then the FMF powerbomb is pretty much the only header worth getting even though there wont be much gains from it the warriors/wolverine 350s header design is actually very good for power, its a pretty big sized header,if you wanted a cam look into either hotcam stage 1 or 2, or if you want even better get a Webb cam, i think Webb cams reccomend better valve springs though, with hotcams you can just bolt it in and notice some power gain, stay away from DG and Cobra pipes 90% are crap, they USED to make decent 2 stroke pipes long ago but now there jsut fubar, when i worked at the dealer we used to make fun of DG saying it stood for "Dont Get" lol, and FMF pipes are ok but i think there usually better pipes out for most atvs FMF seems to make better pipes for 2 strokes, that thing will be twice as fast if you do those things but i dont think you need to take it as far as getting the 446 kit, any questions let me know.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Okay, thanks for the help. I'll look into the cams and the powerbomb. I assume that since I couldn't find it under "wolverine" that I can find the powerbomb under "warrior"?

I've been looking at the possibilities for improvement on the wolverine and I have to say that I am actually quite surprised at the aftermarket that is available to it compared to what's available for the kodiak. Thanks again. -Rich

Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The real problem is the 350 Wolverine is tall gearing,even its first gear is tall for technical trail crawling, which the 350 big Bear can do with the same motor.

The upside is the 350 Wolf can hit 55 mph (I don,t think the 450 Wolverine can do that) while the BB will do only 45 and scream out while doing it.

I Like the 350 Wolverine, its the only 4x4 ever made that was under 500lbs (485lb) and it even has racks.

Even the old 250cc 4x4s that used to be made were heavier.

Any aftermarket performance motor parts for the 350 Warrior should work for the Wolverine.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

Another quick question, does anyone know what the tolerances are for adjusting the valves on my wolverine or at the least know where I can find them?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.sandwizards.com/Service_Manuals/ if link doesnt work at least you can see what site it is, go to tips and tricks and then you will see the manuals if link doesnt work, wolverine and warriors have the same engines so you should bne fine, click warrior and see if you can get help there.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

OK, got another question for you guys. Is there and adjustment for the shift lever? Last time I took her out alot of effort was needed to shift from reverse to 1st. Is this normal or is something broken. I don't really know much about this "clutchless" system yamaha uses.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

if its a shift lever you should be able to adjust the linkage you should be able to loosen each nut on each side then turn the linkage to adjust it, but im not familiar with those bikes much.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Are you talking about the foot shifter being stiff? My 530 Big Bear and 250 Moto4 were super hard to shift with heavy boots on,but once I changed both ATVs to full synthetic oil I could shift them with sandals on,it made that much difference.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, thanks, I'll try changing to the full synthetic and see how that goes. (prepares to say sorry to wallet )

Quick Reply: A few questions about older Wolverine 350