Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wont run with choke off... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont run with choke off... HELP

I have a 98 Warrior 350 (all stock).... I just changed the oil, spark plug, and installed a new K&N air filter. When I fired it up with the choke on full or half it runs fine. I let it warm up for 15 minutes.... no problems... once I take the choke all the way off it will not stay running... it has been sitting all winter long...

Do I need to clean the carb's????
or
Is it the K&N airfilter????

Old 04-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Time to clean the carb, and install a new needle and seat, and drain the old gas out of it. Add some Heet, or other water dispersing agent to the new gas. You are lacking fuel and in order to run you have to limit the air. You can't have a disproportionate mixture.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

So after some reading I took the intake hose off the carb and sprayed it out really good with carb cleaner... fired it up and POOFF.... big cloud of white smoke and all is well .... throttle response is fast and it idles great.....

Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dwcth
So after some reading I took the intake hose off the carb and sprayed it out really good with carb cleaner... fired it up and POOFF.... big cloud of white smoke and all is well .... throttle response is fast and it idles great.....
I would still suggest running it for a bit then check your plug to make sure you arent running to lean. By installing your K&N you increased your air flow you may need to rejet.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Carb needle sounds stuck

Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good point... I plan on hitting the trail this weekend... I'll take an extra plug just in case.. I've never taken a carb apart so if it is the needle or anything else inside the carb i'm pretty much clueless...

Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Don't be afraid of it, it's just parts man. Pay close attention taking it apart and put in a new needle and seat. Won't even take you an hour.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by cody700
Don't be afraid of it, it's just parts man. Pay close attention taking it apart and put in a new needle and seat. Won't even take you an hour.
Thats the best way to learn and become intimate with your quad! I would get into that carb as soon as you can so you don't ruin anything because your gas/air mixture could be off. Don't be scared, thats how I learn, take stuff apart and put it back together!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

take your time and pay attention to what you do, make sure you put it back together the way it was, and dont overtighten the jets or anything to much and you should be fine, never hurts to google some carb 101 to get some info in your head about them.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

The above post is right, When we first started racing I didn't have a clue about carbs. By the end of the season I could have carb out, cleaned/rebuilt, and back in in 15 minutes or so and thats sitting in a sand pit at the track. pay attention and dig in, you'll learn

Quick Reply: Wont run with choke off... HELP