Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 Kodiak hesitant after carb rebuild???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Kodiak hesitant after carb rebuild???

Long story short. . .I left the fuel petcock open and gummed up the carb. . .rebuilt the carb and have had some issues. . .sorted some of them out now there is one left. . .

. . .first what I solved. . .the real problem was the needle valve it was shot. . .replaced it during the rebuild and viola I have fuel delivery again!!!

. . .second problem that was solved. . .forgot to count the number of turns the pilot screw was screwed out when I disassembled the carb. . .got that fixed thanks to a helpful suggestions. . .now the quad will start. . . (BTW, it's currently 2.5 turns out from fully in)

. . .got the idle set on my own so now it starts and will stay running. . .

. . .OK so now the problem that I'm having problems with. . .the quad is now very hesitant/bogs down when I press the throttle lever. . .never was an issue before. . .the quad was VERY responsive. . .

. . .now throttle response is good from idle to ~1/4 turn in neutral or park, but if I go beyond 1/4 throttle, I'm in gear or I goose the throttle the quad wants to bog and die. . .like I said never a problem before. . .

. . .I'm pretty sure that I put the new jet needle back in the exact same clip position, but I could have messed that up so it's a possibility. . .other than that I don't know. . .

. . .I started it today and let it run for about 5-10 minutes while screwing around with the pilot screw to see if that would help. . .no dice. . .let it cool down and pulled the spark plug. . .very black but dry. . .so carbon deposit make me think it's running rich. . .I decid to pull the air filter to see if it will run better with no air filter to confirm that it's running rich. . .well no difference with our without the air filter so now I'm not really sure what to do . . .if removing the air filter would have helped I would have known to adjust the jet needle clip position, but now I'm not sure if that will help. . .

. . .anyone have any suggestions or personal experience here. . .I'm no carb guru that's for sure. . .thanks to EFI I'm pretty much carb retarded, but I'm getting better the more I have to mess with the Kodiak. . .so it's not all bad. . .but I really would like to get it running nice and strong again!

The only other thing I can think that might be an issue besides the jet needle clip position is the coasting enricher. . .I'm assuming that's like an accelerator pump and maybe it's not working correctly now, but I'm not for sure if that's what it's function is or not. . .the service manual isn't a whole lot of help in this case. . .

If you think that I need to adjust the jet needle clip position which clip position should I position it at??? The quad is bone stock and it was a Moose rebuild kit. . .supposed to stock jet and needle sizes. . .I replaced all the O-rings and all the gaskets in addition to all of the jets, the jet needle, and the needle valve and seat. . .

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely it needs different main jet size or the needle position needs changed, it will rev freely while in park? i wud get a few plugs for it and do a few plug chops to find out for sure if its too lean or too rich, sometimes ill cuff my hand over the carb or intake boot and cover a certain amount of it and see how it acts if you cover like half of the opening and if it runs better then most likely its a lean issue, if its worse then id say its rich.