Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just Got a 1995 Yamaha Warrior - How to SHIFT into REVERSE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got a 1995 Yamaha Warrior - How to SHIFT into REVERSE?

I know this sounds like an idiotic question, and maybe it is... But first, let me explain...

I just got my '95 Yamaha Warrior a week ago from a friend... The quad could use a little TLC, but she starts/runs/shifts fine - EXCEPT into Reverse!

I've tried shifting the 'reverse lever' several times (right-hand side of engine, above the crankcase), but nothing happens... The lever WILL move forwards and backwards but either way, I'm only getting 1st gear forward, NOT 1st gear reverse...

I've tried pulling up and shifting the lever, pushing down and shifting it, shifting it with the engine off, etc. etc. etc. but still nothing.

The last time I rode this Warrior was last summer and I remember shifting/using reverse several times without a problem. Unfortunately, I don't remember how my buddy told me to do the exact shifting into reverse (in neutral or in gear, engine on/off, etc.) and he's on vacation for two weeks so I can't just call and ask him.

Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

pull in the clutch then pull up on the reverse lever then back towards the rear tire, you should see the red reverse light come on, if not most likely its not pulled back all the way, i usually engage while in first but i think you can actually be in 1st gear and switch to reverse as well.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was also wondering how to reverse it too..but since you already raised the issue, then ill just wait for answers. Thanks warrior..

Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

Yea your reverse lever may just be out of adjustment. It really shouldn't be a very big deal to get it in reverse. If that red light is not coming on, I would say you need to adjust the lever so it goes back a little further. Guess, you might want to check and make sure all the linkage to the transmission is still attached as well. I usually shift mine into reverse from first gear or neutral but I think you can shift into reverse from any gear.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

if its anything like my timberwolf you MUST be in first gear. If that does not work you might need to loosen the rod from handle to transmission

Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 99 warrior and you can be in any gear and go to reverse ,you dont have to be in first gear

Old 06-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks so much for all of your replies - I appreciate your help! I'll go out to the garage in a few minutes to see if I can finally get her to shift into reverse...

So it sounds like I can be in neutral OR first gear (or ANY gear, according to some replies) and all I need to do is disengage the clutch (as in, pull in the clutch handle), pull UP on the reverse lever, and then push it backwards. I'll try it out in neutral the first time - if that doesn't work, I'll try it in first gear... Should I hear a click or anything as it engages into reverse?

Unfortunately - like I mentioned in my first post - my Warrior needs some TLC and repairs. Among the repairs - NONE of the indicator lights work! So I highly doubt I'll be seeing a red light indicating that I'm "correctly" engaged in reverse...

One last question though - is there any way to lubricate the reverse lever, and is this recommended/routine maintenance? Just spray some WD-40 or add a bit of oil to the metal rod of the reverse lever? Could insufficient lube be the problem, or could I possibly damage the lever and/or tranny by spraying some lube down into the lever "body"?

I used to own a '97 Yamaha Blaster for several years, and I literally ripped that thing apart and repaired/upgraded EVERYTHING. I knew that quad like the back of my hand... I figured that after all my Blaster experience, working on the Warrior would be a piece of cake and very similar. WRONG. I didn't realize the Warrior is a 4-stroke (the Blaster was a 2-stroke), and they seem to be completely different animals in terms of repairs and maintenance...

But hey, at least I've got a "new" hobby to keep me busy again!

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

to get mine in sometimes i have to bounce back and forth on the seat moving the rear tires just a little bit before it will slide in.

also no it does not matter if you are in any gear, you can be in neutral and it will still engage.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks again for the replies everyone!

Well, I just went out into the garage to give it another shot - no dice...

I disengaged the clutch (ie. pulled clutch lever all the way in), started her up in neutral, and let her idle for a few minutes. Then I tried shifting the 'reverse lever' backwards - (shifting into reverse is backwards I'm assuming?) - while pulling up strongly on the reverse lever at the same time. The lever shifted backwards, but still no reverse!

Once I pulled the reverse lever all the way "backwards" (as far as it would go towards the rear of the quad), I shifted into 1st and slowly let off on the clutch. She started rolling forward. No dice...

I tried the reverse lever again with the quad in 1st gear, and same thing - it only rolled forward. Even when the reverse lever is "shifted" all the way back, the quad still rolls forward - and shifts/drives forward just fine - all the way up through 6th gear!

I took a few pictures with my cell phone of the reverse lever in the 'backwards' position (as far back as it would go) and also in the 'regular' (forward) position...

I'll post them right now...

Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

Here are the pics I just took:

'Reverse Lever' in "Backwards" Position - As far back as it will go:

'Reverse Lever' in "Forward" Position:

'Reverse Lever' in "Forward" Position, #2:

Engine Close-Up:

A Few Extras:

Quick Reply: Just Got a 1995 Yamaha Warrior - How to SHIFT into REVERSE?