Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What's wrong with 660r's

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firehog
I'm with geoman on this one. I owned an 02 660. I hated it so much I ran it into a tree at full speed! LOL! Seriously, though, it is very tippy and nothing close to the machine the 700 is. I do realize your budget won't allow for the purchase of a 700. That said, I would strongly encourage you to ride the 660 before you buy it and make sure you like it, especially the way it handles.
I traded my 05 660 and 06 outlander 400 for my Outlander 800 Max and never looked back lol.

The handling alone you can tell you are on a completely different quad. I felt like the front end came up way too easy on the 660 and it felt really tippy. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the 660 back in the day but I was trail riding a lot more and the outlander made a better quad for what I was doing. The 700 I use now for ATV rodeos and TT race and really don't trail ride it.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I use my preddy for dunes and some light trail riding. I have the sportsmans for the real trail riding. I do like the utes for that. I don't have to worry about beating the sh** out of my sporty. My utes have plenty of speed for these trails around here. It is nice to have both, that is the best of both worlds imo!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a very informative thread!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

I agree. Thanks everyone. Anyone else feel free to post your opinion. I guess I'm just gonna have to save for a little while so I can bite the bullet and get the 700.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

u will love it once u get it!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I absolutely LOVE my 01 - after I 1) rebuilt the trans, 2) replaced the starter clutch with an L&A designs, 3) did the jetting, airbox, and pipe, and 4) made the machine 3" wider and the swingarm 2" longer.
NOW - I always say "it's a matter of opinion", which it is. I can't even imagine how awesome the 09 700 is, but I love mine, because it's mine - and I rebuilt it. I bought it off ebay in 04 for 1200, and put about another 1500 into it, along with BUCKETS o f tlc. My friends swear I like working on them more than I like riding them.
I am 6'2", 240 lbs, and I like being up off the ground with the increased stability. I ride in PA at an abandoned coal mine, where there's big rocks, twisty tight trails, and constant incline changes. SO, I went with 25" thick-skinned tires, and a 10 tooth front sprocket. I love my setup.
OH - sorry - one more thing - when the yamaha designers were choosing the Reverse switch design, they ACCIDENTALLY chose the WORST one on the planning board. It was a **** on the right fender that broke when the wind blew, and then it took three hands to get into reverse. The " Doctor D raptor reverse" was the best $70 I ever spent....it gives you a little aluminum handle on the left handlebar right where your thumb wants to be! When you're rockin with your buddies, and you slide into some brush, you pull the clutch, push the lever, and BING you're in reverse.

I think I would say to you if you buy an 02 to 07 660, and do a little fiddling with the ride height/stance/track to dial it in to your taste, you will be pleased. Keep the oil changed regularly, and you'll have a reliable machine on your hands.

Whats your ride style? Terrain? Region? Do you like to go 1,000 MPH on straightaways, or do you like the woods? GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

660 were only made till 05

Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

I trail ride and like to open her up sometimes. Thanks for the info turboburke. (My name is Burke. haha) What should I do?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by turboburke
I absolutely LOVE my 01 - after I 1) rebuilt the trans, 2) replaced the starter clutch with an L&A designs, 3) did the jetting, airbox, and pipe, and 4) made the machine 3" wider and the swingarm 2" longer.
NOW - I always say "it's a matter of opinion", which it is. I can't even imagine how awesome the 09 700 is, but I love mine, because it's mine - and I rebuilt it. I bought it off ebay in 04 for 1200, and put about another 1500 into it, along with BUCKETS o f tlc. My friends swear I like working on them more than I like riding them.
I am 6'2", 240 lbs, and I like being up off the ground with the increased stability. I ride in PA at an abandoned coal mine, where there's big rocks, twisty tight trails, and constant incline changes. SO, I went with 25" thick-skinned tires, and a 10 tooth front sprocket. I love my setup.
OH - sorry - one more thing - when the yamaha designers were choosing the Reverse switch design, they ACCIDENTALLY chose the WORST one on the planning board. It was a **** on the right fender that broke when the wind blew, and then it took three hands to get into reverse. The " Doctor D raptor reverse" was the best $70 I ever spent....it gives you a little aluminum handle on the left handlebar right where your thumb wants to be! When you're rockin with your buddies, and you slide into some brush, you pull the clutch, push the lever, and BING you're in reverse.

I think I would say to you if you buy an 02 to 07 660, and do a little fiddling with the ride height/stance/track to dial it in to your taste, you will be pleased. Keep the oil changed regularly, and you'll have a reliable machine on your hands.

Whats your ride style? Terrain? Region? Do you like to go 1,000 MPH on straightaways, or do you like the woods? GOOD LUCK!

I'm not a big fan of the 660's but I agree with turboburke no matter what quad you get you will have to modify it to you and your style of riding.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Range Rover

Thanks. Once again, if anybody sees that something important was missed, please, inform all of us. This truly has become a very educational thread! Keep em' comin.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with 660r's