Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

car battery on atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car battery on atv

The battery in my 03 Yamaha big bear needs to be replaced. I have an extra car battery sitting in the garage and I am thinking about hooking up the car battery to my big bear. My plan is to mount a battery box on the back rack and use some extra cables I have from an old winch to extend the battery cables so they reach.
They are both 12 volt battery's so I think it should work, has anyone ever tried this before?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jleo
The battery in my 03 Yamaha big bear needs to be replaced. I have an extra car battery sitting in the garage and I am thinking about hooking up the car battery to my big bear. My plan is to mount a battery box on the back rack and use some extra cables I have from an old winch to extend the battery cables so they reach.
They are both 12 volt battery's so I think it should work, has anyone ever tried this before?
The Stator in any ATV I am familiar with, is not designed to charge a full sized automotive battery. Might not be too god for the stator. Other than that, it'd probably start it no problem. I just see an inordinate amount of time spent trying to re-design something that is actually a good design.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Terrellster
The Stator in any ATV I am familiar with, is not designed to charge a full sized automotive battery. Might not be too god for the stator. Other than that, it'd probably start it no problem. I just see an inordinate amount of time spent trying to re-design something that is actually a good design.
I 2nd this. A burned up stator is more expensive to replace than a new battery any day.

Try Batteries: Laptop Batteries, Battery Chargers & more - BatteryMart.com.

They have free shipping.

If you buy the 'Big Crank' battery, you will need an AGM type charger. A regular charger will not work.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

When I was over in the Sandbox.... we had a Red-top Optima battery that powered our Popo Sportsman 400. We had a ratchet strap that held it tight to the rear rack. It was like that for the 9 months I was in Iraq and it worked just fine!

Though there was one time when I was messing around and I landed too hard when jumping and the battery flew about 10-15 feet off the quad... HAHAHAHA....

But in regards to a great site to get batteries again with free shipping. Try this site:

Tri State Battery Online Catalog

-CS-