Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Parking brake limiter/ Reverse limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake limiter/ Reverse limiter?

I've looked all over and, can't find the answer. I'm sure it has been asked 500 times but,,,,

My 04 Raptor all of sudden developed a rev limiter problem. After tearing the carbs apart 50 times thinking it was a carb issue i found out it is the rev limiter. The bike will not rev up / it will retard and, pop in any gear in reverse or forward. The Reverse light comes on when ever it begins to rev passed maybe 2k. I messed around with the parking brake and, it stopped for a minute but started doing it again and now no amount of jiggling of the p brake will help. I have read through tons of search topics about green and, white wires and, white plugs and, by passing and, grounding = I tried a few wire switches and, nothing helped. Do i plug bullets into something or do i have to cut wires or just disconnect wires? Pics would help a ton!!

Does some one have the definitive answer to how to get passed the parking brake limiter? I'd actually like to get rid of the whole Parking Brake perch if i can and, get just a clutch perch while fixing this issue.

Thanks very much and, please don't get mad if i asked a question that is answered - i just cant find it.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Talking

Trace the wires and un-plug. If that doesn't eliminate the limiter, then jump them together/tie them together. One or the other should work if it's the park brake limiter.... Now Which switch is that?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

I tried to trace it. There is a dual plug white connector and, back wires with bullets on them. I tried unplugging the white connector and, plugging the wirse with bullets into each other and, it still will not rev. Maybe i'm plugging the wrong thng into each other to "jump".

anyone know the exact connectors and, wires to mess with?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default parking brake issue

hello wow that is the same thing my 02 is doing the only way it will run is if you rev it up until its screaming but getting there is tought.does any one have a wiring harness or info on the cdi that has to control it.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Captain,.... I can only find a diagram with no "year model" listed, but here goes....

The connector you have identified has a black wire (and a green yellow I think). Check it for any changes when setting/releasing the park brake, to see if it gains and/or loses ground. Simply continuity test to battery ground. if it doesn't show any continuity, the park brake switch may be broken (do the test with connector inplace). Using the same jumper wiring you should have created for testing, Ground that black wire and see if your troubles go away. Use ground to battery, not to vehicle chassis. If it does show continuity with no change, you'll need to disconnect the black wire to eliminate the park brake. I can't tell from this silly diagram, if the black wire is a common between the clutch and park switches.... Kinda crappy diagram.

This diagram I have found is poorly keyed, so I can't tell whether the switch is "normally open" or "normally closed" otherwise I'd be more decisive in diagnostics...

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default running problem

thanks for the info will ck tomarrow.any help is good help.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Terrellster - i take it that i need a fluke meter or something for this? I'm going to have to try to borrow one.

I will look tonight to see if what your saying makes sence when the wires are staring at me.

I'll get back to you. Thanks!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider

Since these systems are 12 volt, if you know how to use a test lamp effectively, that would work also.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer

Are ya still tryin to fix the problem? I actually went through a similar experience with a warrior not wanting to rev up, which i assumed was a rev limiter issue even though my entire parking brake has been removed. Turned out the CDI had just taken a turn for the worse, got a new one and was runnin like a champ. Does it sound like a rev limiter (the ding ding ding ding sound) or does it sound like it maxes out at a fairly low rpm?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

when i pulled my parking brake off it would only putt around at about 1/2-3/4 throttle. I was so baffled by it cause i just cleaned my carb out. My mechanic had to reroute something to detour the sensor. Im looking to just take the whole thing off and get an aftermarket perch but i dont know if that will cause more headache.

Quick Reply: Parking brake limiter/ Reverse limiter?