Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Clutch Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Kits

I was wondering for the people that have gotten them done, wether it be a yamaha brand or any other brand atv, how much difference did you notice after the aftermarket clitch kit was installed?

I upgraded my tires to a bigger size a year or two ago, and wanted to get back loss torque, and read about getting a clutch kit done was the way to go for starters. Was psecifically curious as to were you able to feel tq response right away like as in geting your aggressive tires to be able to spin out on dry soil as in burn out?

I'm getting a Moose clutch kit installed on my 450.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

I wanted to post an update regarding my atv's clutch kit i had installed. I definately notice the power difference off road and in the mud with bigger tires (27") on. It feels much more responsive oing through mud and water and tearing up and flinging the mud. You can't notice it right away if you ride it on pavement, you need to get it off orad and in muddy areas to feel the difference. I paid $149 for a Moose clutch kit, and two hours worth of labor at $80 an hour.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I was finally able to get into one of my little mud bogs that has a steep entrance and exit. And I recently dug it out some more with a kubota before being stopped by a bees nest nearby. Anway, the way you go in/out is steep and before , the atv use to have trouble it seemed power wise with those 27" wheels. It felt like it had lost quite a bit, but finally today I was able to try it out in that bog and the clutch kit makes a big difference now!

So for those of you who have decided to put bigger tires on your atv and are also feeling the power loss because of the bigger tires, a clutch kit really does help out alot. take my word for it, because I was very skeptical about whether or not it would be worth the money for a clutch kit. Like I noted earlier, once you get the clutch kit done and take the atv for a spin say on asphalt of a dirt road, you really don't notice much at first. But get it in the mud, where you need power to bog, you will notice a big difference!

I got the Moose clutch kit which cost $149. I am aware that there is different clutch kits out there by different manufacturers and some cheaper then $149, but I decided to get the more expensive one. There also is some kits out there that cost more then mine, but just wanted to let everyone know that I think the Moose clutch kit workd great for getting back that lost power from adding bigger tires. It also is recommended for higher altitudes and for 26"-28" wheels. Money well worth spent imo, because I do alot of mudding.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear your happy. You can definately fine tune your clutches for your riding style and see worth while gains.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by EPIChad
Glad to hear your happy. You can definately fine tune your clutches for your riding style and see worth while gains.
I was kinda hoping for more noticeable gains, like quicker acceleration right away, but the real noticebale gains were when I got my atv off road and into the mud and water. Still have yet to try out towing some heavy logs and see if there is a difference.