Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trail Performance....Trailboss325 VS Beartracker

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend is looking to purchase a New 4 wheeler. He is decideing between a Bear Tracker or Polaris Trail Boss 325. He would like to know which one is faster,what one mudds better,Powerslides better,Climbs better and what catagory each one excels in....Also top speed

Old 02-19-2001, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

I rode a trailboss today after mine broke, and have kinda mixed feelings about it. I liked it because it accelerated smoothely, had nice power, and handled pretty good through the woods. It is not that fast, i think about 45 is tops, coul not ride wheelies very good, and didnt have alot of ground clearance. Overall, I probably would not buy it unless i found a really good deal on a used one. Dont have nay info on a beartracker

Old 02-19-2001, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Tell your friend to get a Honda Recon, easily the best bang for the buck in that price/cc range.

Old 04-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

trail boss will smoke a beartracker but the beartracker is more fun to mess around with

Old 04-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Powerslides better? Climbs better? Muds Better? Top Speed?
....Man you gotta be kidding.
These are entry level quads. Fun to ride but nothing to get excited about. When it comes to Mud, hillclimbs, etc. these are the quads you get off of and watch the big dogs do what they are made for. 2 wheel drive utilities don't climb well at all or mud well either. A 2 wheel drive sport can outclimb a 2wd utility all day long, because it can transfer it's weight to the back wheels easier, much like a dunebuggy. A two-wheel drive utility is like a two wheel drive pickup, you better stick to trails, stay away from steep and/or loose hillclimbs and stay out of the mud.
Now, realistically, I think the Polaris Trailboss is a much better machine than the Beartracker. But neither is as good as the new Suzuki Ozark. But with the questions being asked, your friend sounds like he'd be better off with a Blaster, or a 300EX. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2002, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

this one goes to fourlix...........i guess youve never seen a beartracker with 25" super swampers on it. since i put my swampers on it i hang with the big boys pretty damn good. although i cant get through everything a 4 wheel drive can, i go through right much for a 2 wheel drive bike. i do lose a little power hill climbing, but all that will change once i get my new exhaust and K&N power kit on it. as for fourlix come down to my mudhole and i'll show you what muddin is all about.
p.s. i'm pretty sure i can get 26's on my bike with no scraping at all.

Old 08-13-2002, 03:13 PM
Range Rover

The best atv out there right now that you could buy in the market you are looking in is the ozark. It has a lot more power than the beartracker does or the recon, trailblazer, trailboss, 250ex, etc. for that matter. Mine will top out around 51mph, tracked on a GPS. The main determining factor of if your going to get stuck in a mud hole or what not is ground clearance. I have gone through mud holes that some of my four wheel drive buddies could not get through because they would bottom out. Granted you can usually always back out of whatever mess you get into with a four wheel drive. Ground clearance is what is going to stop your atv 99% of the time. As far as hill climbing etc, I much rather go up a hill and not have to worry about a manual clutch, but this is all skill level at this point anyway so saying that a two wheel drive sport atv is any better than a utility or sport/utility or vice versa (in this situation) is wrong. A four wheel drive will make it easier but in the end it all depends on the riders skill level. I owned a beartracker back when they were timberwolf's. I went out to buy a new bike thinking I wanted something along the lines of a trailboss, but after a lot of research and riding different bikes you just can't beat the ozark at this point. I ride in some pretty rough terrain, tight hilly trails lots of mud holes etc, and you just cannot beat it for the overall fun factor. It's Sporty, has a snappy powerband, and a great suspension, but you can still strap any junk you want to the racks. Don't get me wrong if you are looking for something you want to be clearing 5 foot jumps with or going ***** to the walls with the you may want to look at a full on sport bike. But the ozark can handle quite a lot. I personally cannot go 51mph on the trails I ride, it's impossbile, so you need to ask yourself what you really need. What is most important to me is a light bike, a snappy powerband, a lot of ground clearance and a bike that is light on its feet as well, not something thats going to drag me around. I really wouldn't even say there is a fair comparison between the beartracker and the ozark at this point in the game. The beartracker was a great bike 5 years ago (and still is for that matter for the most part) but the competition has passed it up. I am sure in the future however yamaha will answer back.