Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is Yamalube worth it? Looking for opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cody700
I am going to bang my drum again for this subject. I have never had an oil related problem with any engine that I have ever owned, and I have been using Valvoline since 1976. I am using it today in my 700 Griz and I am getting just as good of service from it as any one else is with any other oil. And I am doing this for around $4 per quart. At 100 hours on my current oil change, you can barely see it on the stick. Crystal clear! IMO anyone paying the ridiculous prices that Yamaha charges for their oil, as well as many other manufacturers is simply wasted money. Using a Fram Filter and Valvoline oil that is easily obtained from your local Farm Store, or AutoZone, I can change my oil for $15 or less. Take that times 3 for buying this at my local Yamaha dealer. Even if the price was the same I would still use Valvoline, period.
It is Valvoline ATV oil? Because really we should not use automotive oils in ATVs unless the engine is separate from the trans.

For every person I hear say they run automotive oils, I hear another person say they did damage to their machine doing it...... So I'm not sure what to believe with this phenomenon.

Personally I've been running Amsoil in my ATVs for years with zero problems ever. I figured long ago that if it was good enough for Team Honda it was good enough for me. But I'd also gladly run Maxima, Lucas or Red Line......as I know people that swear by those too....

I've run Yamalube before, and my buddy only runs the Honda HRC oil in his 450R........so I guess those are good too.....

I've even heard people say they run auto oils in manual wet clutch system although I don't know how. I saw a guy on the trails once who just bought a Raptor and was running Mobile-1. The clutch was burning up, you could smell it but he could not understand why because he swore he ran Mobile-1 in all his ATVs...... he stopped after that.....

Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not ATV oil it's not designed for it. Just because it works doesn't mean it's working correctly. You may not notice a difference but, there is one. As said above in a manual clutch atv the clutch will overheat fast and slip. Causing premature wear. Don't even want to imagine what it's doing to the trans.

I use Yamalube because in a small town it's all I can get without ordering online. After paying shipping charges it's cheaper than an alternative.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by banshee600
I myself would reccommend amsoil, not only for your quad, but for your truck, car, snowmobile, anything with a motor, im sure theres quite a few people that would agree, its a little more pricy than $4 bucks a quart, but than again, its turns out quite a bit cheaper when you dont need to change your engine oil every 3000 miles ( I run 15 to 17,000 on my truck before changes)
You're gonna hurt your engine in the short long run changing every 15-17,000 miles. I change my oil in my truck every 3000, or when the computer sometimes says to, which can be earlier. Just because they claim you can go that long before oil changes, doesn't mean it's true. Oil's viscousity breaks down in time, and never have I heard someone running that long between oil changes. I was told BMW's can go every 7000 which I also find questionable, but don't plan on waiting that long in our BMW. If I were you i would reconsider going that long, you're asking for trouble down the road.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you guys need to run oil analysis instead of arguing different products.

I agree with the guys stating to use 'ATV oil' on your bikes. Why would you even chance using an automotive oil if it's not good for the clutch, and not designed for high revving small engines found on quads? I'm all for saving a buck, but I sure wouldn't cut corners with the oil.

If you Google Fram oil filter quality, you can find sites where individual people, not companies purchase every filter and cut them open. You'd be surprised at how crappy the Fram filters are made. I've personally had 2 bad experiences with their filters and oil leaking through the 'sure grip' that I was positive not there before. Looking at the pictures of them cut open, I can see why.

btw since we're on the oil topic does anyone know what the difference is between Maxima's Maxum 4 premium oil and their ATV premium oil? It's the same price, and I'm looking for a decent oil to put in my Warrior, since Yamalube is pricey here, and I don't mind ordering.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kodiak450_06
You're gonna hurt your engine in the short long run changing every 15-17,000 miles. I change my oil in my truck every 3000, or when the computer sometimes says to, which can be earlier. Just because they claim you can go that long before oil changes, doesn't mean it's true. Oil's viscousity breaks down in time, and never have I heard someone running that long between oil changes. I was told BMW's can go every 7000 which I also find questionable, but don't plan on waiting that long in our BMW. If I were you i would reconsider going that long, you're asking for trouble down the road.
3000 mile intervals are a thing of the past. That interval originated back in a time when the quality of all oils had limitations that required the 3000 mile interval. Most oils sold today are far superior to those, and will definitely last longer under normal everyday driving, than 3000miles. Most will go to 5-7k. I don't find it unreasonable for an oil to last that long.

The one thing that was mentioned by banshee600..... Change the filter, and top off the oil since some was lost. In the newer oils, filtration is the key, not constant changes. The oil companies are not fighting to tell the world that oil is better, simply becasue they sell more if everyone changes their oil at 3000 miles. Oil change stations, the same reason,.... they sell more if you do it more often.

All that said, it is inherently easier to change the oil when changing the filter on most any engine. as long as the engine has a filter system. My ATV hasn't got anything more than a magnetic oil plug, and it does a great job of filtering stuff out.

It's truly entered the realm of preference at this point. If you feel like it's better to change your oil more often,... I say go for it. It won't hurt a thing more than your wallet. If you want to go longer,.... so be it. Probably no bigger risk either.

Now,.... as far as oil types to use, I can't say I know any better than anyone else. I have a Yamaha,... I use Yamalube oils. I have tried other oils and haven't killed my ATV yet. But I "feel" more comfortable with the Yamalube, simply because I know I don't have to "match" any particular oil characteristic that may be required, but is standard in the Yamalube. It's oil.... it's not like buying tires everytime you change the oil.... so I don't feel too cheated.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont doubt that regular oil will work, but you have to think that automotive oil requiments dont have to worry about clutch materials, thats what transmission fluid is for. I guess I was hoping someone would have had some concrete evidence after testing that yamalube is the same stuff as automotive oil. I appreciate the input from everyone, I am going to play it safe and just run yamalube.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Ninty5Wolverine
I dont doubt that regular oil will work, but you have to think that automotive oil requiments dont have to worry about clutch materials, thats what transmission fluid is for. I guess I was hoping someone would have had some concrete evidence after testing that yamalube is the same stuff as automotive oil. I appreciate the input from everyone, I am going to play it safe and just run yamalube.
For a cheaper alternative Valvoline does makes an ATV 4 stroke oil. It's around $4 a quart at major chain auto stores (Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.).

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kodiak450_06

I know your not suppossed to believe everything you read/see on the internet, but amsoils been very thourough on there research and developement,(look it up for yourself) and if they say i can run 100000 miles on an oil change, i'd probably try it, i've been running there 2 stroke oils for about 10 years, and for the last 5 i have been running there 10w40 motorcycle oil in my quads and bikes, and since i got my new truck, 5w20 in that, havent had a problem yet and honestly dont see a oil related problem in the future.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

i have heard of people running Rotella 15w40 in the wet clutch bikes and quads with no problem. the oil has to be approved for wet clutch systems. i think that is JASAC approved if memory serves.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ss97
It is Valvoline ATV oil? Because really we should not use automotive oils in ATVs unless the engine is separate from the trans.

For every person I hear say they run automotive oils, I hear another person say they did damage to their machine doing it...... So I'm not sure what to believe with this phenomenon.

Personally I've been running Amsoil in my ATVs for years with zero problems ever. I figured long ago that if it was good enough for Team Honda it was good enough for me. But I'd also gladly run Maxima, Lucas or Red Line......as I know people that swear by those too....

I've run Yamalube before, and my buddy only runs the Honda HRC oil in his 450R........so I guess those are good too.....

I've even heard people say they run auto oils in manual wet clutch system although I don't know how. I saw a guy on the trails once who just bought a Raptor and was running Mobile-1. The clutch was burning up, you could smell it but he could not understand why because he swore he ran Mobile-1 in all his ATVs...... he stopped after that.....
Yes, it is Valvoline ATV oil. For those that believe in Amsoil, and the others that is fine, but I truly believe you are wasting your money. They say that their oil is superior, and if it were true I believe that more mechanics would be using it. Valvoline is used and trusted by more mechanics than any other brand of oil. As for Fram being an inferior product, I have NEVER had an oil related problem with any engine that I have ever had, and I have always used Valvoline and Fram. And I have had a car, truck, boat, motorcycle etc since 1975. Like George Carlin said, "You like it, You eat it". lol