Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Atv Winches

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Atv Winches

Hi
I'm new to the sport of ATV's. Just resently purchased A Yamaha 550 Grizzly and a 250 Raptor. Knowing that I'll have to pull the Raptor out of the mud someday, And probably myself. I'm looking at getting a winch. Without braking the bank, any suggestions, on which to look at and which to avoid.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Hey there and welcome. If your on a budget it's going to a bit tougher to find a qaulity winch out but they are out there. Somtimes you can find a company with winches that are made by the big name companys with a off brand name /but buyer beware. Look for sealed motor housing, steel or aluminum housing, (I prefer steel) hp. of the motor, gear ratio, etc. I personally found a winch called trakker that looks identical to the warn in every aspect, very strong and has yet to let me down. (at a rural king for less than $200) I've also heard the vipers and gorrilla's are decent but I've never had personal experience with them. Bottom line is you'll usally get what you pay for, so do your home work if your going to buy somthing that's not name brand. Oh yah, I'd look for a 2500lb. or larger, especially on an off brand.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Northern Tools sells a Superwinch @ 1700 lbs for $225.00, I bought one and used it without any problems. I pulled a Rancher 350 out of some deep mud!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

If there's a craigslist in your area, check it out.

I had an unused Mile Marker 2500lb winch that was just collecting dust. Sold it for 120 bucks.

Also be sure to get a decent mount for the winch. It's only gonna pull out what it can hang on to.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

to bad i just sold a brand new still in the box warn xt25 for 325 and this is with the rope not cable

Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Warn 2500 and it has never let me down. I got it new with my atv. Its been underwater and mud alot and I have yet to have any problems with it. Yeah Warn is more money. But when it comes to recovery gear why risk going cheap.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

personaly im not sure if im just tough on my warn but this will be the second time in 2 yeas i need to get my winch rebuilt its the 2500lb on that came with the yamaha i need to find some thing better than that.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

well its the same thing cabelas said they had a winch made by warn and its have the price well i called warn and they said yes they make it for them but they spec it out the way cabelas wants it to make it cheaper and they said its good but it dont have all the goodies that the real warn has like housing,bearings etc.so u might have the same problem with the yamaha its says warn but just cheaper parts

Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

i hope so bc im loosing trust in warn its tempting just to buy a bigger winch that should hold up to my plowing in the winter and my problem with getting stuck.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

well u c they are going to put the same old setup with gaskets and bearings.put alittle to the side and by the rt25 or the xt25 u will be very happy if u want to stay with warn.the new set up has less batt.drain when winching it is sealed alot better better waterproofing.plus thats what im doing with mine plowing and they said u are better off with the rope instead of the cable.less maintance.and if it snaps it wont slap u in the face plus if does u just tie a knot no fighting with the cable.just my 2cents

Quick Reply: Atv Winches